Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Very fast developing cataracts

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Very fast developing cataracts

The last few weeks my 45 yr. old sister has been having diff seeing.  She saw an opthomologist last Monday who said she was legally blind with cataracts.  Since Monday her vision has gotten worse every day and her surgery isn't for several weeks.  
My question is, with the speed this is worsening, should she be treated immediately as an emergency?  Her doctor does not even know how much worse she is since Monday.  I am afraid that waiting for several weeks might be dangerous. But I don't know that for sure.
Thank you.
cataracts do not progress that quickly.  if there is some difference between her vision between last monday and now, it is not due to progression of her cataracts.  

no, almost no cataract is an emergency (with a few rare exceptions).  so i doubt you'll be able to convince the surgeon to expedite things.

if her vision is actually worsening, then something else is wrong besides cataracts.  but a lot of times people who are recently diagnosed with cataracts are just "noticing" their poor vision more...
1 Comment
I was interested in this post because my cataract seems to be developing quickly and I did wonder if they developed in spurts and then possibly slowed.  I know that there must be thousands of successful cataract surgeries and I am trying to be positive about it.    My opthamologist says very little except to consider all the risk factors.  I do that and it makes the decision even harder.
I think every person is evaluated by his or her own unique circumstances and it would be impossible to come up with a timeframe or a formula which would fit everyone but in my case ,I had had macular hole surgery which caused me to develop a cataract.Somehow my retina surgeon forgot to communicate to me that I could get the cataract surgery done before I came back to see him in a year.So when I came back a year later and was legally blind in  the eye he ahd operated on, he was surprised  that i had not already had the cataract surgery. However, after checking my retina, he told me the macular hole was healed and t was up to me as to when to hav emy cataract surgery.(I think he thought I had waited because I was afraid to have it done and that was not the case.)
When I went to the next doctor ,he told me that my cataract was so dense that  the cataract surgery put me at increased risk because sometimes the membrane  tore as a result of the vitreous being  thiner since healing from my previous surgery.I deducted from this that  surgeons may no longer prefer to have a "ripe " catarat to operate on and that the less dense the better, insome cases.
   I was real lucky and sailed through the surgery and had no complications.The important thing is to select  a surgeon who has had a lot of experience and is confident in his dianosis and treatment.Then pray and you'll do okay.
Thanks for your response.  I know dozens of people who have had cataract surgery without a thought of complications or after effects but I tend to be a researcher and want to know everything beforehand.  Too much knowledge can be dangerous for me because I dwell on the negatives.  Your experience is encouraging and I appreciate it.  If my license is at risk I will definitely have to go ahead but for the most part it does not interfere in my life at all.  I never had great vision and this change doesn't seem much except when I close my good eye.  So don't do that right?  Hope all goes well for you from here. Nan