Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Vision Pulsing

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Vision Pulsing

I have noticed for the past month or so that every once in a while I experience a pulsing in my eyes.  I have an occasional throbbing/twitching underneath my left eye... which I am not too concerned about.

The issue I am more worried about however is actually visible - About once a week I notice it accidently - I will be looking at a blank surface, such as a wall, and will notice very slight movement of the image in synch with my pulse.  When that happens, it's almost as if I can faintly "see" the blood vessels in my eye contracting with my heartbeat.... is this normal?  It's very faint, and only noticeable when I am staring at a blank, single-colored surface.

What do you think?

Thank you so much for your help,

Lee
these are probably entoptic phenomenona.  the 'seeing your own blood vessels' is probably a form of the 'troxler effect'.  you may also be seeing 'scheerer's phenomenon':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_field_entoptic_phenomenon

as for the 'pulsing', it is probably not dangerous IMO, although it could be caused by high or low BLOOD PRESSURE, so if you havent had a physical and an eye examination, you probably need both.

the twitching eyelid is called 'myokymia' and is absolutely benign.  its usually exacerbated by lack of sleep, stress, and stimulant use like caffeine.
1 Comment
Thank you Dr. Prince - much appreciated... I'm glad it's nothing to worry about.

Lee