Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Visual Snow

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Visual Snow

I am not sure if anyone has heard about this, i know it is a particularly rare disorder, but i have visual snow.  The best way i can describe it is that it is like watching tv with poor reception.  I have had this for all my life, but i have heard of others who developed it after taking LSD. My vision is fine other than that and the snow is mostly visible on solid color surfaces and at night.  The only real draw back other than occasional annoyingness is that i find it somewhat difficult at times to define the edges of objects.  I think in my case it is some sort of genetic abnormality since i've had it as long as i can remember.  My question is this, does this sound like the problem is with my brain, optic nerves or eyes?  I have been to an opthamologist and he cannot find anything wrong with my eyes or the optic nerve.  My feeling is that it is a misfold with my opsin protein, but well, its all speculation at this point.  Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
I think I may have a similar condition. For me my vision is like when your in a dark room and look out into a bright window then look back into the dark room you get these blotches, speckle or mosaic image. Is this similar to your symptoms???
I have the visual snow issue too-- very annoying.  I saw an eye doctor about it, and they couldn't find anything wrong-- said it was an excess amount of oil deposits.  I guess excess oil creates wavy lines in your vision, but that's not what I experience.  I also get the random spots that normally appear after looking into light, but these appear totally randomly.  I was also concerned about it being a neurological problem, but I really know nothing about it.  Any thoughts or news from doctors?
thank god iv finaly found some one i can relate to!  i have exactly the same thing your on about, it's like, the same thing you have in your vision with your eyes closed, like that wierd grainy, bluey/greeny, snow like, 'static' net across your whole vision, you know. when you close your eyes. is it like (it is for me-)a really  faint version of that, but with your eyes open? i noticed it first when i was in a club in a pretty dark room, i noticed the 'electric blue/green/red snow' and since then iv not been able to not notice it, it's like the ticking clock syndrom (syndrome), once you'v noticed it you can't not. now i see it on evrything, only really faintly, well, it depends on how bright it is in the room or out side, but i notice it most when i look at a flat surface or the night sky or a white wall or something of that effect. the night sky the most though, THANK GOD iv found some one with the same thing!!!!! i thought i was the only one!! no one could figure out what it was, iv been thinkin i might be goin blind or something, and wherever i looked up eye problems, my symptoms where no where to be found at all... until now... i read your post and it TOTALY fits what i have!! PHEW! im not going mad then! its almost like a kinda net through your vision, a really very faint net, but its there, and it caused me ALOT of stress recently. do you know where i can find more information about this eye snow thingy, and do you know if theres a cure for it at all?  its funny you said people have been known to get it after taking lsd, cuz i tryed LSD for the first time about 4 months ago, and it may have happened then but it just took me this long  to realise, i noticed about a month ago by the way.... does it get worse at all? and can i cure it or do i have to learn to live with it?  im so very glad i found this post.... have my msn... we'll have a more direct chat, see if we can make a few things clearer for each other (scuse the pun) my addy's wise_rabbit***@****

hope to hear from you soon....

peace out.

wise_rabbit.. xx
well i to thought that is was only me that had these problems, ihave a problem with looking at anything that is bright. examples are the sky,white walls, or even a white car.....
the most aggervating is that i also see shooting stars alot when i hold my arms up or if i get up or even cough. just to name a few. i drive a school bus, and i do not have vision problems. it is just aggervating. i can not go outside without my DARK sunglasses on. i see like a million little thingys. but if i look at something like the grass it goes away. i compare mine to what it looks like if you were looking under a microscope and the little lighted worms or something in it. but i like the tv thing better to describe it. i have went to the eye doctor and he says everything looks fine. i also went to the doctor and he says no big deal. i have adjusted to it for the past 2 years. i do not get up fast, i sit down to cough.and i wear dark sun glasses to drive. i wish i had answers to give you, but i am desperate to find out my problem too.
I have this too! Past 3 months now. Going to get tests tomorrow but so far everything looks fine. I have not taken drugs. Have u guys noticed that t
hi , i am 23 years old and have had visual snow for about a year and a half.
the only drugs ive done in my life were pot and i only did it 3 times and the last time it was laced with somthing, but i dont know what and this was when i was 17..
i have been on several anti depresants in the past five years.
The visual abnormalities i experiance are the static vision which i see all the time. It makes it hard to look at anything that has diferent color patterns on it such as a rug or somthing.
i also see little points of light or black spots that will go away if i look around quickly.
i have been to an eye specialast and they scanned my retnas and mapped my cornias and such and found nothing wrong at all.
I also have long lasting quick image burn in which makes things difficult at times.
I am not sure what could have caused this for me , i know that i do have other problems that are neurological in nature but i do not think they are related .
i find it sorta annying that there is little i can find about the subject as far as medical treatment or what it actually is.
anyone that wants to talk about what they are dealing with feel free to im me. i have aim.s/n is hacker9482
Hey all, just got around to checking my post here :).  Anyway, a bit more info for u people looking to know more about this condition.  A few pieces of info that i have found out about it: 1. there has been no confirmed case of remission (going away) of this condition so u can consider it permanent until more research is done.  2. brain cancer is almost always ruled out in these conditions (ie pressure from tumors on the occipital lobes; the vision centers of the brain) although some people do have abnormalities in that part of the brain that are revealed under MRI.  3. Blood tests on people with VS show that some of them have anti-nuclear antibodies (antibodies that target DNA for destruction).  The presence of anti-nuclear antibodies is one of the tools used to diagnose autoimmune diseases such as lupus.  This suggests that it could be your own immune system that is causing the problem however no research has been done on this to determine a positive link.  4. Almost everyone that i have talked to with this condition has been to an opthamologist and of those that have seen one, the opthamologist could find nothing wrong with either the eyes or the optic nerves.  5.  A great many people report that depression is one of the side effects of the condition.  This ranges from mild to severe.  If you have VS and suffer from depression, anti depressants may help but do nothing to alleviate the VS.  6.  I have heard that some people have had some success with taurine in reducing the severity of VS symptoms while others report no significant change.  In either case consult a physician before taking anything for VS.  7.  I've spoken with some people in their latter stage of life who have had the condition for upwards of 40 years and the general concensus is that once you get it, it does not get much worse.  In other words, its something you can definatly live with with little or no detriment to your quality of life.  8.  My personal feeling (and this is my biochemistry back ground talking) is that this may be caused by neurochemical or neuroreceptor deficiencies in the visual cortex.  As to what causes these deficiencies, your guess is as good as mine.  Anyway, hope this helps in terms of information.  Theres also an ezboards message board that i found helpful if your interested in more info about symptoms and or a shoulder to lean on.  pub89.ezboard.com/bthosewithvisualsnow.
Hi all,

My boyfriend complains from very similar symptoms you have described. He has experienced these symptoms for over 3 years now and we have been to 3 different doctors looking for answers.

He has had blood tests, has been to 3 opthamologists, has tried migraine related medications, has had a CT scan... but still no one can tell us what is wrong! This condition makes him anxious constantly & has become very unsociable.

He prodominantly sees patches of pink & green & occassionally blue, which are luminous (very bright). These visual disturbances are a lot worse in poor light or when dark. The patches are constantly changing in size & shape and are always moving.  

He's only 22!

We are due to go to see a neurologist in about 4 weeks time also - so we'd be anxious to hear how he goes with that. (although reading everyone's comments it doesn't sound too promising!!)  :(  

However it's a relief for him to know others who are experiencing a similar problem that he can now talk to.   If you do have other information can you PLEASE  forward onto us by email to: "***@****"

Thanks!

A related discussion, visual snow was started.
A related discussion, Visual Snow and Lasik? was started.
A related discussion, persistent migraine aura without infarction was started.
A related discussion, Visual Snow was started.