Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
WOuld I be Legally Blind?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

WOuld I be Legally Blind?

I suffered a eye injury when I was younger and now in my right eye, my vision is 20/400.  Uncorrectable.  My left eye is 20/20.  Would I be considered blind?  Or does that fact that my left eye is fine make me not?
good question.  my left eye is around that w/glasses well with my glasses in the eye office i can only see the biggest letter when doing the eye exam thats it, and i only have 20/40 with my right eye, i was told i was legally blind in my left ive been that was from birth i know when they make my lenses my left is like a -10 or -10.5
I have had macular degeneration for 10 years and only in one eye I waa not legally blind you have to be 20/200 in your better eye to be legally blind.  I now have cataracts and macular in my right eye and the same is happening to the other eye.  When your best eye is 20/200 or close you qualify for disability for social security and get a tax beak for being legally blind
LOL.. I only have one eye.  Wish I could be called blind and get the benefits that go with it but no.. it's the better eye they judge by.
as far as i understand it "legally blind" means your BETTER eye cannot be corrected with lenses to better than 20/70 (meaning your "worse" eye is also 20/70 or worse)

ex:

Right eye 20/200 with best correction
Left eye 20/80 with best correction
=LEGALLY BLIND

right eye 20/80 with best correction
left eye 20/80 with best correction
=LEGALLY BLIND

right eye 20/400 with best correction
left eye 20/70 or better with best correction
=NOT legally blind