Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Weird arcs of wavy light, dots of light

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Weird arcs of wavy light, dots of light

Hello!

I went for my eye check-up about two weeks ago, I have received a new prescription for my glasses etc, same routine stuff. I told my eye doctor that I had black spots in my eyes, he told me it was 'floaters' and aren't harmful.

Anyway my question is, occasionally I see what I can best describe as a small line of light that moves down (more like 'wiggles'), not in my direct line of sight, just to the north (rarely in same spot). And also, I have been seeing dots/specks of light (not flashes), just like a single pin ***** of light (not alot of them). I really don't know if its my imagination or if I am really seeing it as they only last for a split second. (I am sure I do see the 'lines of light', just not the specks). The lines of light tend to happen when im on the computer, while the specks are totally random.

I am VERY paranoid about my losing my eyesight. Any ideas on what can cause this, or if there is anything wrong in the first place? I am a 23 year old male.
um, this does not sound too terrible, but anyone experiencing light visual phenomena is at risk for retinal holes/tears/detachment.  and that cannot be diagnosed unless someone actually looks inside of your eye again.  so the conservatove thing is to definitely go get another dilated eye exam.  

the other scenarios are entopic phenomena or migraine aura.  there is really not enough information here to make a diagnosis...the only way to tell is to have someone look