Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
White bump on white part of eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

White bump on white part of eye

I recently noticed that I have a white spot (my wife says it's slightly raised, so I guess it's now a bump) which is resting on the white part of my eye, residing next to the brown colour of my eye (what's the outer circle of the pupil called?)
Throughout the week I've had an exceptionally redness around this same part of my eye, but just noticed the bump today.

Anyone have any idea what this is? I've looked around on the internet, and after reading a certain forward someone said it was 'Phenyctenulum', but searching this doesn't bring up many results.

Many thanks for any responses
that sounds like a classic "pinguecula"...a benign inflammatory condition usually caused by long term UV exposure.

when it gets red around it, i call that an "inflamed pinguecula" or "pingueculitis".

it is not usually dangerous, but if it gets much worse/bigger you may elect to have it surgically excised.  it will not go away on its own.

FYI the brown part of your eye is the "IRIS".  the intersection between the white part of your eye ("sclera") and the brown iris/cornea is called the "LIMBUS".
Ok, done a bit more research and Pinguecula could possibly be it, but somehow I'm not quite sure.
Good question Jon,
I'm having diff. tracking down the answer.
I just noticed those small white satellite spots that look like moons at my Limbus are (reflective) and are more pronounced than I ever noticed before (now I'm middle-aged and less optic).
I think everyone has them, but can't quite nail down the terminology. The eyes have so much nomenclature, and seem complex to me, but most eye doctors are all over & around them!?
LOL, wondering why I can't get a simple answer to a common thing?
It must be the internet because I know most eye-docs are good?

Alper
also i found a great description and diagram of the eye,
however no pointer or definition of the white spot to the immediate left of the pupil?
http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=7248
A related discussion, White bump / spot next to the Iris was started.