Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
White spots on cornea and inflammation-6 months and counting

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

The Dr. keeps removing white spots from my cornea.  He is not sure what they are and he says my cornea is shot and will need a transplant.  However, he would like to see the inflammation go down and at least get me "comfortable."  I have lots of eye pain and "grittiness," how long is it necessary to wait for a transplant and what are the white sports.  I'm miserable and cannot see out of my right eye.
the white spot are "infiltrates"...collections of white blood cells.  the reaction to a serious corneal problem.  they are definitely the cause of your "gritty" feeling.

you cannot have a transplant during active infection or inflammation.  so you'll have to wait until that eye "settles down".  i have no idea how long it will be.  possibly never, depending on what caused your inflammation.