Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Will physical activity reduce the effectiveness of laser surgery (for r...

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Will physical activity reduce the effectiveness of laser surgery (for retinal detachment)?

Is there a possibility that something I do is likely to cause the laser surgery (that I had for retinal detachment) to be less effective?  As of Monday, I was told to go back to my usual activities (exercise, etc.).  I can't help but wonder if things like running or weight-lifting would cause the scarring to be less able to hold (?).  Any ideas on this one?  I'd hate to give up any of my exercise, but I definitely don't want to endanger my sight.

Thanks, Phyllis

'Is there a possibility that something I do is likely to cause the laser surgery (that I had for retinal detachment) to be less effective?'

yes.  jarring head and eye motions & injuries should be avoided.  boxing, bungee jumping, car accidents, etc.

'I can't help but wonder if things like running or weight-lifting would cause the scarring to be less able to hold (?)'

no.  weightlifting and running are both fine.  every normal exercise i can think of would be fine.  only extreme head/eye jarring would be considered contraindicated.  no boxing, for instance (or kickboxing, etc)

1 Comment
Great, thanks!!!  I don't do any boxing (or contact sports) and you couldn't pay me to go bungee-jumping.  :)  All I do is aerobics and some weight-lifting classes (and they're not particularly heavy weights).  

Thanks for all your helpful responses!  

Phyllis