Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
binking in 1 eye of 2 yr old

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

binking in 1 eye of 2 yr old

my 2 year old is blinking really frequently in 1 eye and when he is just relaxing he is closing that eye I have a apt with a ped ophth. but it is 3 months out is this something I need to have addressed right away? or what could be causing this?
hmm.  tough to tell.  

my 1st thought is a refractive issue like uncorrected farsightedness in that eye, or in both eyes, or strabismus with diplopia (double vision)...all of those can wait 3 months.  they all need to be addressed, but are not EMERGENT.

but there could be other problems that could cause this that might be more emergent...like ocular PAIN.

dont know.  this is a tough call.  the most conservative thing is to be seen sooner than 3 months.