Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
black spot in vision afer injury

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

black spot in vision afer injury

a couple days ago i was hit in my right eye while fighting with my brother. i got a very slight black eye and it hurts when i push on the right side of it. the fight was on the beach and i think i might have also gotten a piece of sand in it. i notice sometimes now that in the very far upper right side corner of my right eye now i see a black spot when i look a certain way and im hoping its nothing serious that will go away with time. it looks similar to the black spot you see if you push on the corner of your eye with your finger. is this something to worry about?
YES.  you cold be having a retinal detachment.  you need a dilated eye examination right away.  you know most of the posts are are not emergent...but this one could be.

any 'ocular trauma' needs a dilated eye exam.  especially ocular trauma with symptoms as you describe.  go to an eye doctor (optometrist or ophthalmologist) ASAP and tell them your story.  they will fit you into their schedule and have you examined today to rule out retinal detachment.  the sand is the least of your worries.  it is within the realm of possibility that your 'black spot' is a retinal detachment or hole or tear that may need surgical repair.  if that is the case then time is of the essence.
1 Comment
sorry for the typos in the above post.  wish i could "edit".
-------------------------------

"cold" should have been "could",

"you know most of the posts are are not emergent" should have read "you know most of the posts HERE are not emergent"
A related discussion, Sports Injury- Blunt Trauma to Eye was started.