Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
cataract implants

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

cataract implants

Six years ago I had a fixed focus "distance" lens implanted in my left eye. I am 20/25-2. Prior to that I was a successful monovision contact lens wearer.

I am now ready to have a cataract replacement in my right eye. My surgeon favors a fixed focus "reading" lens. He says that a restore lens is good if he is doing both eyes with restore. But he does not feel restore is capable of providing reading and dashboard range. He is against crystalens, and feels restore is superior to rezoom. Thoughts and comments?

I also expressed that my "distance" vision would be better with two eyes rather than the mono he is proposing. He said there is little or no discernable difference between one eye and two eyes seeing distance. Agree/disagree?
as to what is superior and what is not, opinions vary among doctors and patients.

but he's right...all multifocals work much better when BOTH eyes have the multifocal.  they dont work very well alone.  so your best bet probably is to go with a monofocal "reading" (monovision) implant.

yes, your distance vision would probably be better if you had 2 DV implants.  that would mean you would still need reading glasses.  the only way to NOT need reading glasses is going to be with monovision, or replace BOTH the old implant and the new cataract with multifocals.  b/c you cant really just have 1 multifocal implant...it doesnt work.
Thanks,
Could some of my surgeons aversion to installing restore over a basic implant be that with restore the procedure is a)more difficult, and b)there is more potential for post operative issues than with a fixed focus lens?
yes and yes.
I just had Rezooms lens placed in my left eye.....I am having real problems seeing
at night....my surgeon has said that is common until I also have a Rezoom lens put
in my right eye......my concern is that the cataract is tiny in my right eye and
I didnt want another surgery (plus $3,000) until I really needed it
Could the use of a right contact lens alleviate some of the night vision problem?
Does a restor/rezoom combination work?  What are the pros and cons of that
vs. wearing one contact?
yes, it works.

thre are no pros & cons i could easily discuss with you.  every case is different.
It has been 10 days w/my Rezooms lens implant (left) and I am very pleased......
to "balance" my  distance vision  at night I am wearing a contact in the right eye and
the readers recommended by my Dr. for the computer and reading....he says
they are temporary.....I can read w/o glasses in my right eye but he says I dont
need to strain my eye muscles.  
This seems to be working well......I hear that most Drs. want to do both eyes but
w/my situation it is working fine......I do have a low grade headache but figure
it's my brain adjusting to my new monovision.....I did have monovision w/contacts
but it was flipped.....my left was close up and my right was faraway.
What is your opinion about waiting on surgery on my other eye?
I don't know if this helps you or not - but I just had 2 MONOFOCAL IOLS implanted (R 7/31 & L 8/7) with great success.

R eye is set for distance and is 20/15
L eye is set for just a little closer (also 20/15) - although NOT set for reading and certainly NOT MONOVISION.

I find that I can read the computer but glasses do make it easier and crystal clear.  My distance vision with both eyes is awesome as everything that is 4'+ is also crystal clear.

I decided NOT to go with monovision because I have heard that some people have a very hard time adjusting to it and there is a possibility of losing depth of field.

What I had my DR do is bring the focus in "just a touch" from the other eye so that I can read almost everything (blurry but manageable to quickly glance at a receipt or phone #) but I will require glasses to make things sharp.  For those I'm planning on getting a special pair or computer/reading progressive lenses.

I had a ReZoom implanted in one eye in Jan 2006. I have been wearing one contact since with no issues. I may suggest though that you give a multifocal contact a try. I have tried both and find the multifocal contact to be a much better match to the ReZoom.

I use the extended wear type of contact, but take it out at night.

Thanks for your information about wearing a contact w/your Rezooms lens implant.

I have been wearing my old contact (3 years old) and have great distance vision
w/it....especially helps at night w/halos......but I need readers for close vision.
I was concerned because it causes a slight irritation and I can only wear it for 5-6 hours.
It is gas permeable and I have worn that type for 30 years.....what kind did you
try before you found the one you like the best?  Did you go to an opthamologist
or optometrist?  Did you have to wait 6 weeks?  I have tried to make an appt. and
am told my eyes are still adjusting to my implant in my left eye.