Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
cataract opp went fine but still get scattering of the light but no mor...

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

cataract opp went fine but still get scattering of the light but no more bright lights

i had my right eye done last august and i still get light scattering i have had my left eye done 3weeks ago and i still get light scattering the lights are not bright now,i had to stop driving because of the bright lights and the lights scattering

now ive got both eyes done it seems the scattering has got worse before i only saw the lights when i was driving but now when im at home at night and i have the lights on i get scattering of the light

im due to see the nurse soon for my 3week check up then she will tell me to see the eye doctor,when i told the doctor when i had my first eye done im still getting the scattering he looked at my eye and said my eye is fine the opperation went good and there was nothing else that can be done

is there anything i can tell him to make him look into this more

its been 3weeks but sometimes i im getting a glaze over my eye like when you have been crying hard to explain

is there any pictures i could take to the doctor so i could show him what im seeing

when he looks at my eye and if he tells me the cataract has gone what should i say?
these are all fairly normal complaints after cataract surgery.  tell your doc, but dont be concerned, and dont be surprised when he/she dismisses you as 'fine'.  its only been 3 weeks...
I'd definitely recommend that you get a second (and maybe a third, if necessary) opinion from the most experienced surgeon(s) in your area.
Go to www.thevisioncommunity.com.   Click on  vision simulations and look around until you find a simulation similar to what you are seeing.
I had cataract surgery done on my right eye 8 days ago with a monofocal 8.5D lens. I still see starbursts. The refractive error in that eye is now +0.25D. When I mentioned it to my ophthamologist he said, we only replaced the lens not your 70 year old eyes. He then proceeded to fit that eye with a combination of lenses to remove the refractive error as well as my astigmatism. The result was: still starbursts. That should tell you something.
thanks for your advice im not sure who else i can see but i can see what happens when i see him soon im young to 29 so my eyes should be fine
You wanted to be able to get an example of starbursts: go here -->http://www.thevisioncommunity.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=56&Itemid=149 and adjust the picture to what you see. Print it and hand to the doctor.
I've been struggling with light/glare sensitivity, starbursts, haloes and blur (glaze) in my left eye since surgery in '05 and still haven't had any luck getting it corrected ... I have posted before in the early new year. My most recent posting is under 'extreme light/glare sensitive....' a response came to me through your site from a Dr. Crysta.  Let me/us know if you have any success ... are you considering a lens exchange at this point? ... I know how frustrating it is when drs. dismiss you ... telling you everything is ok and leaving you to think it's all in your head ... but it's not ... hang in there.
im just so worried that its not going to get any better yes i know its only been 3weeks but i had the other eye done last august and the only change in that eye is that i can stand the light as its not bright. ive just been for a walk in the town lots of street lamps and its so bad as im getting the light scattering of the lamps

it also feels like its a mirror they have put in my eye when i see any lights when im out walking in the sunshine i see rays of light comming down from the sky and im not even looking at the sun
The lights coming from the sky during the day or at night indoors and out are called streaking ... do you see haloing and/or starbursts around headlights at night? I certainly understand the mirror effect you are getting ... at times it's like directing the sun through a magnifying glass to burn a piece of paper ... that bright glow before it ignites.  Have your doctors given you a satisfactory explanation and what was it? I'm having difficulty getting answers.  Have you looked a visionsimulation.com?  
well good news i think, ive been to the nurse who then sent me to the doctor he said if i want i could have my stitches taken out i said will that stop the starbursting he said no my eyes will be have to be lazered for that so he has booked me in for that he also said i could have my stitches done at the same time,how it sounded that can be lazered aswell

so fingers crossed

ill keep you updated
3 weeks post cataract surgery I complained to my Doc about light streaks at night. He prescribed 1 drop of brimonidine tartrate ophthalmic solution 0.2% 1/2 hour before night driving. This medication minimizes natural pupil dilation in dark conditions.  I haven't had much occasion to use the drops (I do most of my driving in the day), but they do  work.