Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
constant tearing and redness

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

constant tearing and redness

I have had this issue for quite some time..My eyes tear constantly..most times it is one eye or the other, usualy my right eye..I find I can not wear mascara most days due to the constant wheeping! I get raw in the corner of my eye from whipping the tears away all day!And twice now, I have had a blown out pupil on one side while the other eye is normal..No headache present..the eye tearing can be soo annoying and dibilitating, literaly, I can not drive w/o tissue in hand, and they get very red and swollen as well...why can't I stop the tears from falling?  ALL DAY & NIGHT!!!
the tearing could be many things.  mechanical ectropion ("loose" eyelid) is the more likely scenario if you are over about 40 years old (please dont be offended if you are not 40+)

if it is mechanical, its going to be difficult to stop.  a surgical procedure is really the only option, and even then it may or may not help.

if it is NOT mechanical, then Rx anti-allergy eyedrops may help, even if this is not related to allergies.

you definitely need an exam to look into the "blown pupil".
It can be the cause of dryness of your eyes.  You can find the necessary information at :
http://www.wiseorb.com/articles-review-478-T-DRY_EYES%3A_THE_PROBLEM_OF_THIS_TIME%2E.htm