Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
eye bubble on white area

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

eye bubble on white area

Yesterday I was putting on eyeliner and one my eyes started to hurt as though i had something in it. When I looked at my eye I noticed a small cresent shaped clear bubble on the white part of my eye. When my eyes are open the bubble on the white part of my eye rests almost on my eyelid and is on the side of my eye closer to my ears. My eyes are not itchy or red. This eye is a little dry and I sometimes get the feeling like there is something in my eye but it hasn't hurt since i noticed it. I don't wear contacts or glasses and i have never had any serious eye problems in the past. Should i be worried? Will this go away on its own?
no, you should not be too worried.  thats swelling under your bulbar conjunctiva.  could be from anything...allergies, a 'scratch', etc.  no big deal.  if it goes away in 1-2 days then you're fine.  if it does not resolve in say 48 hrs, or if it gets worse, then go to an eye doctor.  also if it gets red, very painful, or you have vision loss, obviously go see someone.

try not to 'rub' it.  dont use visine or anything.  just leave it alone and see what happens.
If you wear contacts I suggest an eye exam. If you do not wear contacts, this sounds like an allergic swelling.
I add a similar blister like bubble on the white of my eye 2 months ago.  I saw an eye doctor who told me it was a cyst and would go away on its own.  It did resolve itself within 48 hours.  Two weeks later it came back.  The second time it came back, it lasted several days and I noticed it was worse in the mornings and would usually get better in the afternoons.  But the next morning it would always be back.  I saw a different doctor this time and he said it was a cyst related to ocular allergies.  Like you I had no other symptoms such as redness, itchiness, etc.  However, I took the allergy eye drops he prescribed (Elestat) and so far it has not returned.  It's been gone for 5 weeks now.  I can still see a spot, almost like a scar on the white of my eye where it used to be, but the allergy drops seem to have kept it away.  
I have a similar condition. I have a clear "bubble" on the outter corner of my left eye. I do wear contacts and have opted not to wear them due to the irritation. This has been a reoccuring condition over the last few months however this most recent time I noticed the blood vessels from the outter most corner to the "bubble" have burst leaving unsightly veins. I'm not sure if they were there the other times I have had this as I just noticed it. Do the broken vessels seem to sounds like they go hand in hand with the allergies?