Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
eye pain/twitching

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

eye pain/twitching
For the past week I have been experiencing a twitching in my left eyelid followed by slight pain and a lot of pressure.  Feels like someone punched me in the eye.  Now for the last two days I have been having twitching in my right eyelid, but no pressure or pain in that eye.
I thought I had a sinus infection due to post nasal drip, cold, and the pressure so my doc. prescribed me a z-pack but after 5 days of taking the medicine the postnasal and pressure behind eye is still there so I don't know what could be causing this pressure, pain, and twitching.  Any ideas?
the twitching is one of 2 things:

1) if it occurs only part of the time, its MYOKYMIA.  a totally benign muscle spasm of the mucsulature in the eyelid.  occurs mostly in people who dont get enough sleep or dont get the right kind of sleep.  lots of "stressed out" people get this.  no big deal.  can be stopped by getting more sleep.  also we occasionally rx antihistamine eyedrops for it.

2) if it occurs ALL OF THE TIME...100% of the time...it could be BLEPHAROSPASM, or facial nerve damage, usually from a virus.  could be solved by BOTOX injection, but someone would need to try & figure out what the cause of the nerve damage was

as for the pressure, we probably are talking about a sinus problem.  it is also possible (but unlikely) that you could have raised intraocular pressure in that eye (angle closure).  but angle closure usually also causes a FLAMING red eye and BAD VISION, in addition to the feeling of pain/pressure.  so if your eye is not red and your vision is good, then its very unlikely that you are having angle closure.

you probably need to see an ENT or sinus specialist.
A related discussion, Eye pain and twitching was started.