Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
eyelid/ herpes

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

eyelid/ herpes

i went to doc about getting a cyst on eyelid after touching eye after i applied medicine to a cold sore. doc said i was fine and he lanced it. said it wasnt contagious just oil gland issue. 24 hours after  another sore appeared in the other eye. it's been 30 days and i've had atleast 15 lesions in both eyes. the lesions r mimicing the stages of a coldsore.eyelid tingles and is sore for about 1-2 days then it appears. i'm very concerned that this may be herpes. just recently i removed eyelash from my 10yr. olds eye and sure enough he started complaining of his lid being sore and tingly.2 days later he had the same sore as me on the inside base of his upper and lower lid. we spent 7 hrs in e.r last night and they told me it was just a maiopian cyst. well i didnt know these cyst were contagious. it doesnt sound right to me. i also was seen last night for a red rash covering my hands and some of my forarm. i was concerned that if i do have ocular herpes that i've gotten it into my skin. this rash is severe and other than eczema on my face i've never had so much as a pimple anywhere on my body. now since the 1st cold sore i'm seeing these tiny little pimple like things on my chin area. i'm experiencing light sensitivity and severe headaches. please help. i got the 1st cold sore after taking care of 12yr. old with flu and a cold sore. a week after her sore and flu passed i had all her symptoms. this was early dec. i've had 3 colds or flu like episodes since but no cold sores on lip. doc did stain for cornea but if this is her. i dont want it to get that far.what is accutate testi
you need to go to an eye doctor.  either an ophthalmologist or an optometrist who treats and manages eye disease.  its been my experience that the E.R. usually has no idea whats going on as far as the eye goes, so i wouldnt go back there if i were you.

read about herpes simplex lid disease:

http://www.canovision.com/info/simplex.htm

i am NOT diagnosing you or your son with this.  i am only telling you to read about it.  you and he definitely need to go to an eye doctor.  not the E.R., and not a general physician.
A related discussion, is this herpes on my eyelid? was started.