Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
flashes after cataract surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

flashes after cataract surgery

I just had surgery 6-6-06. The day of surgery, I didn't notice anything, but the following morning when I got up I noticed intermittant flashes in the periphery of my vision. This is very distracting. I called the office right away, they said the doctor and his nurse is out, but we will take a message. By the end of the day still no call. This morning the flashes seem to be intensifying. What is this and will it go away?
I will try to get a hold of them again today, but don't know if I can. I would go over to the office, if I lived closer, but live 75 miles away. My next appointment there is 6-12, a week from the surgery. Thank you for this forum.
this is difficult.  it is possible that you are experiencing mild aftereffects of the surgical procedure that wre not emergent.

however it is also possible that you are having a retinal tear or hole or detachment, which would obviously be a big deal.  it is unlikely that anyone will be able to tell whether this is an emergency or not based on just reading your symptoms on this forum or hearing them over the phone.  i have no idea if this is a big deal or not, but again it is certainly possible.

you need to try to either continue to get in touch with your surgeon's office, or go see someone else...another eye doc who is closer.  thats the safest bet
Thank you for your help. I did finally get in to see the doctor ( after the receptionist told me to leave a message again and I said NO, I left messages yesterday, I want to speak to the drs nurse now!)
He said that the retina was OK, but that the "vitreous gel was tearing off the retina". That sounded terrible to me, not OK. He made it sound like it had nothing to do with the surgery. That's funny, I never had it before and the day after surgery I have this now! He also said that it was like getting wrinkles, it wouldn't hurt anything! Can you give me any further info on this?
Again, thank you for your assistance.
he thinks you're having or have had a vitreous detachment.  if thats what is happenning, he's right its no big deal.  sounds terrible, but is pretty benign.

if you are having a vitreal detachment, IMO it is almost definitely and directly related to your recent cataract extraction.  but again, if thats what it is then no big deal...
Can I stop it from getting worse? I don't like this.
Iwas told not to lift or bend at the waist after surgery, but I forgot and bent down to pet my cat and pick up his dish. Would that have agravated or started this by any chance? or if I didn't rest enough after the surgery?
also, I had asked the surgeon on the day of surgery when I could return to work as I am required to do heavy lifting at times, and he said I was cleared to go back in a couple of days, but now I am wondering if that would agravate this problem of flashes/detachment - if I would be better to wait a couple of weeks? Thanks.
The lifting is getting heavy patients in and out of bed. I was thinking of calling my boss and telling her I could come in on Sunday the 10th of June, but maybe I should wait.
Hi--I had a vitreal detachment  during my surgery and the doctor wasnt concerned--I was wide awake during the surgery and was able to talk to him and told him about suddenly seing floaters.

I saw floaters for several days after the surgery too but they all went away.

If I were you, just to be on the safe side ,I would call a local opthalmalogist in your home town and go in and just have an eye exam and get a second opinion on when to go back to work (after the exam). The Walmarts have vision centers and you could get a fast appointment with their doctor and get some answers to your questions.
Peace of mind is  invaluable when dealing with vision problems.
If I were you I would not lift heavy things for awhile either.Your boss at work should understand this but a note form an eye doctor would make sense too.
yes, these are all questions for your surgeon
The trouble is I can't get a hold of him. It was difficult enough to get in to see the retinal specialist yesterday.
I am having my surgery done in a month. I asked my doc. the same question about when I could return to work. I have a job that sounds similar to yours, and have to be able to lift 50 lbs. to be cleared back into work. He told me that I wouldn't be able to go back to work for a week if that was the case. So, If I were you, I'd plan on at least a week off, just to be safe.
Debi
Thanks for the info. I left another message, but no one returns my call. I will not recommend this dr. to anyone! I have decided to not work until I see someone next week in the office.