Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
flickering in eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

flickering in eye

Im a 25 year old female and in the last three months i have noticed an occational flickering in my in my vision.  I have spot lights in my bathroom on the ceiling and at firsti thought it was a faulty light flickering until it happened again in afew other rooms.  The flickering only lasts for a split second.  I only seem to notice it in artifical lighting conditions.  I have had my eyes examened by 3 different eye doctors in the past few months and other than two small atrophic holes in my retina, there is no other problem.  Im now really worried its a neurological problem, but ive been to see two doctors who dont seen very concerned. Should i just ignore this or do you think there could be a problem?
this is so hard to speculate on.

yes, technically it is possible that you have an eye or neurological problem.  but if you have already been to multiple doctors who havent seen anything, then its pretty unlikely.

the next step is a neurology workup, which is expensive and time consuming and probably wont tell you much.

i wish i had more/beter information for you...
PHYSIC FLASHES..............

I also have flashes but thay are anything but controllable...they will flash donward in the corner of my eye...They usually happen in the left eye but very rarely in the right eye...and when it happens i know something i am doing is wrong EXAMPLE i said something stupid and got a flash in my left eye...or thought my hair brush was in the bathroom and got a flash in my left eye....I went to the bathroom and the hair brush wasnt there! and just before i tried posting a comment and got a flash in the left eye then got a message that i could no longer post comments...it has also happened in the right eye i was in school and thought of an answer to a question the teacher asked and i got a flash in the RIGHT eye and the teacher said my answer was right.....and actually i remember it happening only once while i was sleeping at my friends house the light flashes were so bright it actually woke me up...and instead of going from the top of my eye to the bottom it went from the bottom to the top when i was sleeping....then about a month later that friend died in a car accident...i remember hugging someone that didnt really like me AND GOT A FLASH IN MY LEFT EYE...this started happening when i was about 16 and i am now 21 it doesnt happen as frequently as it did but it still happens and i dont know if it is a misfiring in the brain activity or a seriouse eye problem or why it is linked to emotions...and i also dont know if it happens to anyone else....it used to scare me but now i kinda ignore it....and just listen to the eye flashes left eye means what i just thought is wrong and if i get a flash in the right eye i was right i know it sounds crazy and it doeSnt make sence but its true AND I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF IT HAS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE?????????
My mother has had flickering in her vision from time to time...I have read that it can be caused from a migrane (migraine) even though you don't feel any headache. It can have to do with blood circulation in your head/brain. I'm sure it can be other things but this might be a possibility.
A related discussion, flickering in eye was started.
A related discussion, Flickering eye was started.