Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
floaters that do not change or go away

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

floaters that do not change or go away

I just developed some floaters in one eye about three weeks ago and they do not seem to move or change from day to day.  Other docs said they will eventually move away ( from my optic nerve) or disappear with time but this does not seem likely.  These floaters are really bothersome as they are right next to optic nerve near the retina-. Does the body absorb them and how do you get them to move away from this area? Should I give up hope after 6 months?  Claudia
MOST floaters do, in fact go away.  well, they dont really go away, they just "sink" to the bottom of your eye where you cant see them any more.

this process usually takes about *9 MONTHS*, and even sometimes years.  some floaters never "sink" far enough to be out of your way.

but between 3 weeks ago and today, i'm sure they appear exactly the same.  in another 3 weeks they will still appear the same.  in 6 months they may or may not be the same.  this is a SLOW process...
Hi Doctor

I also have a question about my floaters. I have had them for 10 months now. They are seriously a nuisance when I am trying to read. The good news is that they settle down a bit lower than my line of vision. However, they do not stay down. With fast eye movement, they come up and dart around again. Is this as good as it ganna get? Or my condition will be improved even more (ie. they will go further down and will not come up high enough to enter my vision field). If they will do so, how long would it take?

By the way I am 20 years old. Eyes are -5.0 and -3.0. No retina tear or anything else. The funny thing is that i have more of them in my better eyes.
Thank you
Hello. I am not the doctor, but I was just reading these posts. I am 24 years old and I have MANY floaters in both eyes. I have had them for over 2 years now, and they have not shown any sign of going away. So I just wanted to let you know it could take years for them to go away, if they even go away at all. I am not sure mine ever will. I am glad to know there is a younger person like me with these as well. I just try to igore them as best as possible, and watch for any new and unusual changes.
A related discussion, Vitrectomies and floaters was started.
A related discussion, floaters was started.