Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
focusing problems with eyes

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

focusing problems with eyes

For a while now I have been dealing with a focusing problem with my eyes that comes and goes.  I have 20-15 vision.  however, some days my eyes want to go out of focus on there own.  some days it is worst than others.  what I mean by out of focus is that it feels like when you let your eyes relax and stare at something for a while.  I also have problems switching from close focusing and far focusing when this happens.  I also have what feels like goo in my eyes.  In the morning my eyes have a ton of yellow crust in them.  I also have days when my eyes hurt.  I have been to an Optimoligest twice.  they have given me a whole work-up and all the pictures inside your eyes and all that.  they tell me my eyes are fine and give me some eyedrops.  I have told my doctor about this as well.  All he does is look in my eyes with A light thing and says everything looks fine.  latly I have been seeing these dark ring/edges around my iris.  I tell my doctor this and he blows me off.  I have ben looking into my own eyes in the mirror for 39 years.  I know what in the heck they look like.  nobody will listen to me.  what to do now...
okay the goo and the focusing problems and the ring around the iris are 3 unrelated things.

1st the goo:  sounds like early a.m. mucus.  most likely from dryness or allergy.  not dangerous.  the yellow is dried mucus discharge.  this is most likely NOT conjunctivitis, and you probably do not need antibiotics.

2nd the iris:  MOST people's eye color changes as they get older.  brown eyes get lighter, blue & green eyes usually get darker (some get lighter...). the ring around your iris...if it is a DARK ring, thats your limbus...could be getting darker b/c of pigment deposition over time.  no big deal, and not fixable. if it is a WHITE RING that looks to be around the outside of your iris that is called ARCUS.  it is cholesterol deposits in your cornea.  it is not dangerous to your vision at all, but could mean you have elevated blood cholesterol (some people get arcus w/o having high chol).  no big deal, but again not fixable.

the focusing: having difficulty switching focus from far to near and back has a name...its called "accommodative infacility".  some docs rx eye exercises for this.  i am not a big fan of that.  my guess is you are just beginning to experience the 1st symtoms (symptoms) of presbyopia (loss of focusing power).  its what makes almost everyone need reading glasses or reading contacts or surgery or some help of some kind to read starting at around age 40.  so you're a little early.  google "presbyopia".
Hey Doc thanks for the help.  one of two things are happening.  I recently stoped drinking alcohol and have had some dental work done.  I have thought for a while I thought that this is connected to my impacted wisdom teeth.  but not knowing what to do I also stoped driking alcohol.  My eye site is returning to normal.  the dark rings around my iris is disapating.  The rings are not yet all gone but getting lighter.  my focusing problem is just about gone.  the morning gunk is absent as well.  I never drank that much.  Is it possible that alcohol could be causing this?  you may not belive me but the dark rings around my iris (dark blue) are leaving.  my wife can not believe it either.  How can this happen?

Thanks for the help
A related discussion, Dark Ring Around IRis was started.
A related discussion, Focusing epidodes was started.