Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
halos/starburst/floaters
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

halos/starburst/floaters

I am responding to a posting entitled 'halos/starburst/glare/floaters' which was made by 'Nick' on April 18, 1999. When I read this article I realized that this man is suffering from precisely the same condition as I am. I am 33 years old and up until the beginning of this year (2005), worked for 8-10 hours a day in front of a computer. With me it started as very pronounced double vision around lights and bright objects. I got this double vision even with one eye closed. The double image was always down and to the right of the 'real' image. Over a month or so, this became a weird starburst around bright lights. The doubling of the text on TV I get also - it's especially bad on shop signs at night and so on. I have also had the film over the eyes, which I can only get rid of by blinking, lots of floaters, and pains in the eyes after reading for more than an hour at a time. Like Nick, my doctors had no explanation of my symptoms. I do not wear contacts, but have always been quite short-sighted. Another symptom I have had is edge disturbances on patterned carpets, etc. (like moire) and a lot of the time on printed text in books, so much so that I have found it hard to read for much of this year.Up until the start of the symptoms, I was aware that my glasses were out of date, and also that I was looking at an angle at my screen.
Any explanation or help about this couldn't be more welcome. Is there any possibility of contacting or finding out what happened to the other guy?
Thanks, Andy