Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
headache with certain new eyeglasses

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

headache with certain new eyeglasses

I have a very vexing problem. Recently I've purchased new eyeglasses from several different sources. Three pairs of eyeglasses cause a headache that doesn't go away after two weeks. Two pairs are fine. It is a new Rx. My eye doc said the base curve in new glasses must be copied from my previous ones, +3.75. But, the newest pair of eyeglasses I bought DO have this base curve and still give me headaches. What could be wrong? If the P.D. is off could this be the problem?

OD    -5.75      -1.00    X     005      P.D. 60
OS     -6.00      -0.75    X     180

The three glasses that give me a headache were very inexpensive, 2 of those ordered online. I had one of these checked at an Optician, and everything measures up, they're made correctly. But these cheap glasses I can't wear. I could get them remade, but I con't know how to change them.

One pair I did have remade with the base curve changed and a small +1.25 progressive added, and now they are fine. But the other two pair are unwearable. What could these cheap manufacturers be doing that is causing headaches for me?
Avatar n tn
if the PD was off, that could and would cause headaches.

60 is a fairly small PD, usually for a person with a small head likea lady or in a pediatric pair (or obviously a small man).  is 60 your pd, or is that the pd of the glasses?

material and base curve could also be problems.  even adjustment can matter.
1 Comment
Avatar n tn
Thank you. My PD is 60, and I'm a female. One pair of the glasses were checked and the PD is correct, 60.

My eye doc checked one pair and said the base curve was the problem, so i had a pair remade and now they're fine. But I had a third pair made specifically with the base curve of +3.75 in each lens, and they give this same headache.

it appears that you get what you pay for. The online glasses are very inexpensive.
Avatar n tn
A related discussion, headache from glasses was started.