Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
headache with certain new eyeglasses

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

headache with certain new eyeglasses

I have a very vexing problem. Recently I've purchased new eyeglasses from several different sources. Three pairs of eyeglasses cause a headache that doesn't go away after two weeks. Two pairs are fine. It is a new Rx. My eye doc said the base curve in new glasses must be copied from my previous ones, +3.75. But, the newest pair of eyeglasses I bought DO have this base curve and still give me headaches. What could be wrong? If the P.D. is off could this be the problem?

OD    -5.75      -1.00    X     005      P.D. 60
OS     -6.00      -0.75    X     180

The three glasses that give me a headache were very inexpensive, 2 of those ordered online. I had one of these checked at an Optician, and everything measures up, they're made correctly. But these cheap glasses I can't wear. I could get them remade, but I con't know how to change them.

One pair I did have remade with the base curve changed and a small +1.25 progressive added, and now they are fine. But the other two pair are unwearable. What could these cheap manufacturers be doing that is causing headaches for me?
if the PD was off, that could and would cause headaches.

60 is a fairly small PD, usually for a person with a small head likea lady or in a pediatric pair (or obviously a small man).  is 60 your pd, or is that the pd of the glasses?

material and base curve could also be problems.  even adjustment can matter.
1 Comment
Thank you. My PD is 60, and I'm a female. One pair of the glasses were checked and the PD is correct, 60.

My eye doc checked one pair and said the base curve was the problem, so i had a pair remade and now they're fine. But I had a third pair made specifically with the base curve of +3.75 in each lens, and they give this same headache.

it appears that you get what you pay for. The online glasses are very inexpensive.
A related discussion, headache from glasses was started.