Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
instances of bright wavy peripheral vision

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I've had instances where in my peripheral vision, it seems brighter (like when you look at a bright bulb and the lingering brightness remains even when you look away) and in that bright peripheral vision there is a little wave-like motion.

This has occurred only twice in the last 3 years but in each instance it lasted about 20 minutes.

I'm 44, in good health, no diabetes, borderline hypertensive (but this has been kept in check with Cozaar, 120/80 for the last 4 or 5 years). I work in front of a computer (CRT monitor) most of the time. I also cough/gag hard when I brush my back teeth so could this be a factor?

Could you give me some possible causes of this? Also if the CRT monitor has something to do with this, will an LCD monitor be better (or just better for the eyes in general)?
Do you get a headache within 15-30 min. of seeing the lights?
It could be the start of a migrane (migraine).
I don't get a migraine nor headache. Just wondering if others have experienced the same thing and what was done if any. Thanks.
I have also too experienced bright dots before my eyes. I have also had wavy lines but mine have had colors with them . I have never told anyone because I thought I was nuts!  Mini=me
I have had this same symptom. It happened several times about a year ago then went away. Then I just started having the symptom again two days ago. Mine only lasts about 5 minutes. No headache either. The wavy feeling and brightness seems to stay even when my I close my eyes. I am trying to research the cause as well.
About an hour ago I experienced this vision anomaly for the first time.  Bright, wavy/zig-zagging peripheral line (almost iridescent), way out at the edge of my vision field.  Actually, it was quite beautiful.  It lasted about 10 minutes and then went away.  No headache at all, and no other vision distortion.  Actually, I haven't experienced any kind of headache in over five years.  I had been working at the computer for a couple of hours, but that's nothing unusual for me, because I often sit at the computer for hours and hours straight.  

I'm curious about what causes this, as I've never heard of it before, and a google search describing these "symptoms" only returned this message thread.
Has anyone here found out anything?
Hello - also had an instance of wiggly bright lines in my peripheral vision, but may have found an answer to them (from some eye website):

"Flashes: When the vitreous gel inside your eye rubs or pulls on the retina, you may see what look like flashing lights or lightning streaks. You may have experienced this same sensation if you have ever been hit in the eye and seen "stars".

The flashes of light can appear off and on for several weeks or months. As we grow older, it is more common to experience flashes. If you notice the sudden appearance of light flashes, you should visit your ophthalmologist immediately because it could mean that the retina has been torn."

Was the closest thing I could see that fitted as I also never get headaches with these.  Interesting fact I found on same website - your nose runs when you cry because unevaporated tears go into a drainage tract that goes to your nose; it said if your eyes fill with tears the majority will end up coming out of your nostrils... slightly less romantic than the other way!

A related discussion, halo peripheral vision was started.
A related discussion, wavy peripheral vision was started.
A related discussion, Wavy Light Aura in Peripheral Vision was started.