Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
itchy and watery eyes after dilation

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

itchy and watery eyes after dilation

After I had my eyes dilated for a routine check-up, they started to itch (where the tear ducts are) and water. This has been going on for 2 months now and the doc says it's allergies (which I never had before, nor do I sneeze now!). I think the bottle with the medication for dilation was not sterile, but of course the doc doesn't want to hear that. Any one out there with similar problems?
the itch sounds like allergies to me as well.  a true "itch" is almost always and exclusively an allergy type response.  no way did any one time eye exposure to ANYTHING cause 2+ months of itching.  doesnt matter if the bottle was sterile or not.  

which leads me into a tangent real quick:  *NO* bottle of ANY eyedrop is "sterile" after its opened.  the instant its opened, its not sterile anymore.  the eyedrops either have preservatives that are bacteriostatic/bacteriocydal, or the the fluid inside has those types of properties.  the only eye-anything that is truly sterile is PRESSURIZED saline, which most people dont use anyway.
That is one weird coincidence, that I should start allergies on the day of the dilation, not to mention that my nose doesn't run nor do I sneeze. I just don't buy that. Also my eyes are puffy underneath and as soon as I rub all the tears out the itching stops. Since I've never had allergies I don't know if that fits common allergy symptoms.
lots and lots and lots of people have OCULAR allergies w/o nasal or other allergies.  thats really common.
A related discussion, high Power in eyes for my child was started.