Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
misty blurred vision with rainbows around light in morning

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Dear Doctor,

My mother (55 years) has a 20 year history of glucoma in both her eyes. One eye is completely damaged but other one remains very stable for last 10 years. However, recently she has started seeing rainbows around light and misty vision almost every day. The vision gets clear by evening or after noon. She has visited several doctors but all of them are treating her for glucoma. Her eye tension is normal and as far as I know, glucoma patient does not see rainbows around light in day time but only at night. She does not have any headache or nausea etc. Every thing including heaviniess in eyes is normal and she does not feel any pain in eyes either. We also had her angiography dye test done which revealed some swelling on ratina. But swelling went away with medicines but vision problem is still there. She is not diabetic. She had high blood pressure for some time but after starting medicines, blood pressure is normal for last 2 months. She is geeting it checked very day. Doctors aree confused and are not able to find the root cause of the problem. They already ruled out cataract as a problem. Please help us get some other perspective for the problem. Could it be a cornea related disease? Which disease has these symptoms? Thanks.
i assumed it is cornea related, even before i got to the end where you suggested possible corneal involvement.

here's an easy test you can do to rule out or confirm corneal edema:

go to the pharmacy.  buy some over-the-counter eyedrops called MURO-128.  do not buy the "ointment"...buy the eyedrops.  they are SALT eyedrops.  they will in NO WAY affect her glaucoma treatment, so please dont worry.

have your mother instill 1-2 eyedrops in each eye in the morning.  if she is taking her glaucoma eyedrops in the morning, wait 5 min after she does the glaucoma drops before doing the muro-128 drops.

if her vision clears up (no rainbows) within 15 min of the eyedrops being put in, she has corneal edema.  at least then you'll know what it is and how to fix it on your own.  then go tell your other docs thats what it was and what you did to fix it.

if the vision DOES NOT clear up, then she's got some other problem.  latent hyperopia or retinal problems or lens hydration from fluctuating sugar levels or something else.
good luck
1 Comment
Thank you for your advise on checking for Edema. We got her checked for Corneal Edema. Doctor said that her cell count is 1700. Is is too low? My mother used the sodium cloride solution prescribed by doctor. She says it clears up very little after few minutes so she is not sure if it is helping too much. However, since she has started using the solution (drops every 6 hours) she feels swelling and pain in eye. She takes an anti inflamatory drug and feels better. We are hoping that this takes a few days of use for her to get better. Is Corneal edema just a symptom of some underlying disease. Her doctor also performed ratina angiography and noticed some ratina swelling. This swelling went away in a week after using the drops prescribed by doctor. So, over all, we are still in a hang situation waiting when this blurring will clear. Is there any eye disease that can cause ratina swelling as well as corneal edema. My mother has clear vision once blurring clears up with no spots or any pain.

-saurabh
Dear doctor,

I am waiting for your reply. My mother had to stop the sodium chloride solution because she got severe swelling and redness with it. Is there any alternative? She says that she feels that her vision has got little better with the solution but because of swelling it cannot be used.
i'm sorry.  i dont get notifications of replies to old threads.  i only get notified when a new question is posed.

do not use the sodium chloride drops if they cause inflammation.  no, there is really no other alternative...

if she has corneal swelling, some people suggest holding a cool hairdryer at arms length and blowing air on your open eyes for a few min.  i never really liked this b/c it can cause DRYNESS, but it will solve some corneal edema so it might be nworth giving it a shot.

past that there's really nothing else she can do.  we're not even positive this is edema...