Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
mole in eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

mole in eye

Hi my friend (age 21) was recently told that she has a mole i her left eye. Naturally she has become extremely anxious after hearing this and would like to get as much information as possible about this condition . However there seems to be very little info either on the internet or in books about this. She is due to see an eye specialist in a weeks time, but she is driving herself crazy with worry in the meantime. I have tried to reassure by explaining that not all moles are necessarly cancerous. Would i be correct in saying this?
Thank you in advance.
when eye docs say someone has a "mole" on the "inside" of their eye, they are usually talking about a "nevus":

http://www.retinaeyecenter.com/cn.htm

http://www.revoptom.com/index.asp?page=2_1325.htm

a few nevi turn out to be choroidal melanomas, hence the referral to the specialist.  but thats rare.  the bulk of them are just "freckles"...
Hi  ijust wanted to say thank u so much for getting back to me so quickly. I'm sure that your information will definitleyhelp to reassure my friend.
Many Thanks
hi!
my girlfriend has a mole on the surface of her eye and is going to have it removed.
has enyone undergone this sort of operation and is it risky?
thanks in advance
klemen
A related discussion, mole on eye was started.
A related discussion, nevi was started.
A related discussion, Eye mole was started.
A related discussion, Mole in the eye was started.