Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
pain behind eye, swelling under eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

pain behind eye, swelling under eye
I have pain behind my left eye.  It hurts when I close my eyes and sometimes when i blink. I have no vision disturbances, no tears, no other symptoms.  It also hurts if i press (gently) on my eye when it is closed, around the lower left (more center-left than extreme left) of mye eyeball, though it doesn't hurt if i press anywhere else. This pain started yesterday, but it is a little worse today.

Other symptoms: Last week I awoke with dark circles under both eyes (sometimes happens), and under my left eye was swollen and puffy (never happened before).  The swelling was mild but still visible.  I took out my (daily wear) contact lenses, didn't wear them for a week, and the swelling went away after a few days.  Related?

I also suffer from migraines (had one on that side yesterday) and allergies. I am female, 35 years old.

Does this sound like something serious I should have checked out, or does it sound like it's related to my migraine (which is gone today)or sinus allergies?  

Any help/guidance would be very much appreciated!
could be migraine or cluster headache.  yes, could also be related to swelling.  this is so difficult b/c i dont want to just indiscriminantly say to everyone "you need an exam", but i really have no ideas sometimes.  it could be nothing or migraines, or it could be serious.  dont know.  sorry!  so many possibilities.

safest & best thing is to have it checked out.
oops, meant to add...  I don't have any pain upon moving my eyeball when my eye is open - up, down, sideways = nothing. It does hurt when i try to move my eyeball when it is closed, but it hurts when it is closed even if my eye is still.

thx.