Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
persistent stringy eye discharge
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

persistent stringy eye discharge

Okay my story begins in North Carolina in October 2005.  I had been in north carolina for about a year at this point.  I got pink eye in my right eye that spead to my left eye (in october) accompanied by a cold.  I used the pink eye drops and my eyes where restored to complete health except for one thing.  Occasionally I'd notice that I'd get an eye sleepy that was attached to strings.  I could pull the sleepy from my eye and the 2 strings would go all the way around my eye.  It was not often enough for me to have any great concern.  I came back to my place of residence (in Arizona) at the end of January of this year.  I continued to have string problems but didn't really worry about it.  I began to worry about it when it started to interfere with my wearing contacts.  The string discharge was starting to be very frequent and would sometimes get in my contacts.  I have gone to both the GP and my optometrist.  They think it is allergies and so I have been taking the patanol prescribed by my optometrist faithfully for more than 2 1/2 weeks and taking claratin for about 3 days and there in no real difference.  I've been wearing my glasses for more than 3 weeks and that hasn't made a difference.  I still continue to have these eye sleepies with strings attached.
I want to be restored to COMPLETELY healthy eyes.  What could be wrong with my eyes?

Side note:  I've been wearing contacts for 12 years (started when I was 11) and have always taken care of my eyes.  I would never wear them overnight and wear my glasses in the morning and at night so my eyes can breathe.