Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
pulsating bounding pupils

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

pulsating bounding pupils

First I noticed that when I was looking at a blank wall I could see my eye pulsating, like seeing the outline of my pupil which was like a gray circle pulsing.  Then I looked at my eyes and watching my pupils they pulsate, Have you heard of this and also I have had a dull headache on lower part of my forehead.
"hippus".  no big deal.  as long as both pupils do it, you're totally fine.

as for the headache, that could be anything.
i can see my pulse in the vision of my left eye, with a corresponding dark, grey area, particularly when looking at a white surface. what is this?
mel:

thats not what del is talking about.  he's saying that when he looks at his own eye in the mirror that he can see his own pupil rapidly changing size from small to large and back.

you're talking about a pulsing of your VISION, which is totally different and unrelated.  i dont know whats causing your pulsing.
I, too have a pulsating left eye.  When I stare at a lite-colored wall, I can take my pulse with the left eye only!  Right one is fine. I don't feel it, no gray or black circles like others have, just pulsing is seen.  Dental checkups fine, sent me to ENT, ENT fine, sent to sinus CT scan -- normal, had MRA of neck and brain and fine.  Left eye vision seems to wander,too, have to keep coming back when staring at a fixed point.  Thorough ophthomology exam WNL.  So what's pulsating?
I was diagnosed with ON in my right eye almost 2 months ago and the period of visual disturbance to complete sight loss and back to minor visual disturbance took around 3-4 weeks. Since then I've had relatively minor visual loss and mild colour abberation, all of which i was told was normal for ON. I've also had continued flashing but i also put this down to ON and nothing to be worried about. I had an MRI which was normal and this was put down as a single occurrence of ON

However, 2 weeks ago I suddenly began to see the pulse in my right eye after a bout of physical exertion. This was just-off central area of the eye to the right hand side, is very slightly shadowy and looks as if objects are moving towards and away from me. In that week it happened maybe three times but has now increased in frequency to be almost constant and differentiates only in intensity between me being at rest or moving.

I have no pain and wasn't particularly worried, putting it down to the ON, but i spoke to my dr who said he didn't know anything about this in relation to ON. He's advised me to return to my specialist but this won't be for several weeks. I was wondering if anyone here had any opinions. Thanks.