Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
pupil to small after cataract surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

pupil to small after cataract surgery
I had cataract surgery three days ago. My pupil is much smaller than my other one...is that normal? I don't remember my pupil doing that when I had surgery on my other eye.
Thank You
i dont think it is abnormal, if thats what you mean.  *sometimes* miosis (or small pupil) can occur from intraocular inflammation.  do you also have pain or redness or very bad vision in that eye?  if not, i personally doubt it is anything to be concerned with.  some eyes just respond differently to "insult" than others.  if you do have any of those other symtoms or if you are worried about it you should definitely call the surgeon.
I'm glad you asked this question.  I can tell you that since my cataract surgery last year, both my eyes have much smaller pupils, and I can actually see the color of my eyes now.  :)

When I had my cataracts, the pupil was always dialated, I assume in an effort to see better through my cataracts.  But it made it much harder to be outside when the sun was shining because I was always just blinded by the bright lights.  I feel more normal now.

But I am curious, why this happens.  Doc???
The eye I had surgery on 8 weeks ago has a larger pupil than the one that they just did surgery on it...I hope it will get a bit bigger because you can really see the difference...my iris looks lighter too:)
jenta, having both be smaller is normal.  cataracts BLOCK light getting to the retina, so its like you're in a dark room all the time.  implants let all the light thru so everything is brighter and pupils get smaller.

but what the other poster is noticing is that one eye has a smaller pupil THAN THE OTHER ONE, after both eyes have had cataract surgery.  you're really talking about 2 different things...
No no pain except kind of like muscle ache...you know like when you move the eye to the side like a muscle strain...just uncomfortable not painful. I see my Dr Wed if the pupil is still small I will bring it to his attention. He is very careful in watching my eyes closely as I am a diabetic. Thanks for your quick answer:)
After my first cataract surgery, one pupil was smaller than the other because the surgeon elected to constrict it after surg. due to some high intraocular pressures.  After about 4 days it returned to baseline, and the pressure is at a stable 18.  (I normally run 20-21)  no optic nerve damage.