Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
red eyes

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

red eyes

My 8 year old daughter has had red eyes for a bout 4 or 5 days now. I am almost positive it is not pink eye because there has been no gook whatsoever. That is why I have not taken her to the doctor. That and time. But now I am getting a little concerned. She complained a little bit in the beginning about itching, but now it is minimal to none. Her eyes are red in the morning and I have put visine. They seem to appear better and then as night rolls in they get extremely red. One eye more than the other.
Could it be allergies?

Should I give it anymore time or take her to see the doctor?

Thank you for your help.
yes, it could be allergies.  stop using the visine...it doesnt help much and confuses you and your doctor as to the diagnosis.  all it does is temporarily 'hide' the redness by constricting the blood vasculature.  its not helping.

its could be 'pink eye', even w/o 'gook'.

she really needs to see an eye doctor.  she does not need a pediatric specialist or anything, but an actual eye doctor, not the pediatrician.  the optometrist or ophthalmologist will easily be able to tell if its allergies, or bacterial conjunctivitis or viral conjunctivitis or what.
I think if it was my child, I would be seeking medical advice either from doctor or local hospital (if possible)  could be something, could be nothing but there is only onw way to know for sure
im a lot older then your kid, hopefully somebody will get this because i need help too

Im approaching 17

im at the age where i need to get out see the world, but this chronic redness in both eyes makes my life hell, basically im too self conscious to do anything at the moment.

out of 365 days a year im red eyed for about 310 i guess. thats if i am lucky like last year

anyway my problem started gettin worsewhen i was 14-15 since then it doesnt matter wot season my eyes turn vivid red usually in the inside corners of my eye. Please help me. ive had pred (0.5) both preserv and non preservative drops.
They are only for short term but clear up the problem or "hide it" as i prefer to say. I need some doctors wisdom now :( plz help me. My life is hell at the moment.