Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
scleral tear vitrecotmy

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

scleral tear vitrecotmy

My brother injured in road accident, and has been treated at Aravind Eye Care System.
I am here reproducing text of discharge report given to us. Please advice me,if there is any better treatment available for this patient,to get his vision back.

The Doctor report says the following:
On Examination his left eye showed lid edema with multiple sutured lacerations both over the upper and lower lids. Corneal edema was present with total hyphema. The right eye was normal. The visual acuity in right eye was 6/6 and left eye was perception of light only with faulty projection.
X-ray orbit was taken which ruled out any intra ocular foreign body. B-scan Ultrasonography of the left eye showed evidence of scleral tear temporally with vitreous hemorrhage and the status of retina could not be as assessed.

On 17-06-2006, he underwent re-suturing of the lid laceration as they were irregular.  On 19-06-2006, he was taken for globe repair and possible vitrecotmy. On exploration a large irregular sclearal tear extending from 10
it sounds like your brother has a lot of blood in his eye ("total hyphema" and "vitreous hemorrhage").  neither of those will be easy to fix.  it is doubtful IMO that your brother will ever see much out of that eye again, probably no matter what surgical intervention is performed.  maybe thats why they're not doing any more procedures.

the globe repair was done for cosmesis...so he would nto lose the eye altogether.  but it did not/will not improve his vision from that eye...that sounds really, really unlikely.

your brother still needs periodic heath checks for that eye so that he does not develop painful glaucoma.  but as for saving the vision in that eye...i doubt anything can be done.  thats a pretty nasty injury.
A related discussion, eye problem was started.