Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
seeing swarming and pulsing when waking up in middle of night

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

recently i've noticed that if i wake up in the middle of the night in a dark room i can see what looks like the blood vessels at the back of my eye projected onto the walls and ceiling of my room (swarming little lines and floating spots).  i also see a kind of shimmering static all around and there also appears to be a central pulsing area in my vision.  

upon switching the light on these symptoms will rapidly resolve but i'll then notice strong afterimages kicking in for up tp 30 mins or so.

during the day my vision is perfect.

the weird thing is if i sleep with my light on i don;t seem to get these symptoms, or much less so.  i also don;t get the bad afterimages when waking up after sleeping with the light on.  could this be related to pupil dillation?

i have an eye appoint for a few weeks but in the meantime i wondered if someone could explain what i'm seeing.
this is a totally normal entoptic phenomenon known as "scheerer's phenomenon"

http://www.eye-floaters.com/entopicphenom.php

"i also don;t get the bad afterimages when waking up after sleeping with the light on. could this be related to pupil dillation?"

no.  not related to "pupil dilation", but rather caused by "dark adaptation".  not dangerous at all and totally normal.

http://www.yorku.ca/eye/darkadap.htm
thanks for the explanation.  the strange thing is i never used to get this.  is there an explanation for it's onset?  

the afterimages are so vivid in the mornings after waking from the dark i now choose to sleep with the light on....not an ideal situation.