Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
shaky vision

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

shaky vision

Hi i wrote to this forum about three months, as i noticed that i had developed what could only be described as shaky vsion. By this i mean when i woke up in the morning the whole room would appear to be shaking quite violently, this would then subside to a slight tremor.. and although this was better than the violent shaking, i was still unable to read properly as the words on the page would be continously shaking. My eyes just didnt seem to be able to settle. I put this down to studying extremely hard for my finals.. and thougth it was probably stress related coupled with eye muscle strain. However three months on, I still have this problem. Admittedly it is to a lesser degree..but i find that whenever im on the computer my vision seems jerky. This is also the case when i am not on the computer. It is not a constant shaking but more of a jerky action...Im worried that this could be a life long problem and will consequently affect me being able to find a job and work...
Ive been to various eye doctors and they have ruled aout the possibility of nystagmus. I have also seen an ear specialist and he said that there is no connection between my eye problems and my ears..I have also had blood tests which came back as normal..
do u happen to have any idea of as to what this problem could be ... and what i can do to stop the jerky vision?
ps this shaky vision coincided with me developing ringing sounds in my ears
I hope u can offer some explanation..
Thanks in advance..
no new advice other than what you've alread had.  have you been to a neurologist or neuro-ophthalmologist?  thats the next step.
okay thank you... i will make an appointment with a neurologist..
one final question...do u think my symptoms could indicate a serious underlying condition?
unlikely, but possible.
I have the same shaky vision but to a lesser extent. I feel the computer screen is shaking esp. if i focus below or above it, same with the television and at night etc. I was really worried. I asked my eye doctors who wwere not concerned and told me its nothing. But i've noticed when i wear contacts it doesnt happen.
okay thanks for sharing your own experience with me..
i think its just something i'll have to try and ignore/get used to..
thanks
I also have had shaky vision. Mine lasted about two years. I was, however, diagnosed with Meniere's disease and my jerky vision coincided with ear rining, pressure and some vertigo. My ear eustachian tubes also malfunction and I get fluttering sounds in my ears. I now have to avoid salt, caffeine, sugar and junk food. Anythning that increases fluid in my ears affects my eyes also. The eyes are very connnected to the ears and your balance system. If the balance system is off it can cause shaky vision or your eyes can jerk from side to side or up and down.. Mine is much better since the diet change and since lessening my stress. The whole thing started for too much STRESS...
Elise
I also have trouble with shaky vision. Had all kinds of tests done.....eyes, ears, cat scans, MRI. Couldn't find anything until my recent diagnosis of chronic Lyme disease. Since I started treatment (a combination of antibiotics and herbal supplements) It's gotten much better. Last month I had 23 days when my vision was "normal"! Any chance you might have Lyme?