Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
(sometimes light blue) shape in periphery of vision when I blink

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Several months ago I experienced a detachment of my vitreous humor in my left eye, accompanied by the typical arcs of light in the far left of my visual field in that eye.

Since then, I have a couple of large, dark 'floaters' in that eye, which I know is a common after-effect of vitreous humor detachment.

But the light flashes have continued for several months (they happen whenever I move my eyes from left to right and back), and I have developed a large 'shadowy' shape in the same area as the light flashes.

I see the shape primarily when I blink, and then it fades until it is not noticeable ... until I blink again.  Sometimes it has a light blue tinge to it.

I also see this shape when I close that eye and gently press on it (as when washing my face).

I've been checked twice by my ophthalmologist, and he cannot find any abnormalities on my retina.  He believes the continued flashing may be due to the fact that a small piece of the vitreous humor is still clinging stubbornly to the retina, but he is at a loss as to what the 'shape' is.

Would appreciate any comments and/or advice from anyone who has experienced similar symptoms.

Thanks in advance.

~ joanie
You are just experiencing after effects of the VD. Because the doctor can't see a problem, doesn't mean your visual images are not really there, but they should subside over the next few months.  I would still say you should get a complete dialated retinal exam yearly.  Unless you see a sudden onset of very bright, lightening type images, or a drape effect coming over your vision, there is little that can be done.
Thanks, Eye Guy.  You have eased my concerns significantly.  I am new here, so apologies if I am asking something that is general knowledge here: are you an eyecare professional or have you come by your knowledge through personal study?
I have worked with ophthalmologists for many years, and currently sell to them now.  I have been in the eyecare field for 23 years, and I really enjoy the field and would like to help out with any knowledge I can.  I won't say anything that would be outside of what I know for sure about.  But I am not an eye doctor. I was certifed as an ophthalmic technician for 10 years.
Thanks for the clarification.

I (and I'm sure others here) appreciate your willingness to share what you know from many years of experience.

~ joanie