Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
'stabbing'? eye pain

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

'stabbing'? eye pain

Over the last couple of days, I have had a severe, but short stabbing pain in my left eye.  It was not caused by any foreign object, but caused a great deal of discomfort for a while after, but its not something i could readily describe.  Also last night, whilst wearing contacts, there was a blurring of vision in the same eye ( I only have vision in the left eye), the pain has also occurred when wearing glasses I cant see it being contact lense related.

I Have managed to get an opthalmic appointment for tomoorrow, but would find some advise before hand useful.  

The only recent change or trauma was a broken nose, around 12 weeks ago, an i wondered if this could have affected the eye or the socket.

Thnaks

it depends on "where" the pain is.  this is going to be difficult to give insight on.  you're better off waiting and having someone look at it tomorrow.  i could start speculating, but there are too many possibilities...

The eye pain was towards the right side of the left eye, but wasnt clear if the pain was from the front or rear of the eye, but felt sort of like a needle being stuck in.

The optician has said there are a couple of dry areas on the eye ball, and the pain could be caused by this, and suggested using artificial tears.  I do have a follow up as well, to see if there any chnages in the dry areas.  They also said that if it was anything serious, or any type of infection, there should be redness and soreness more constantly, rather than for a few minutes.

I have had severe pain in my left eye now for about 1 week, when I get this pain I cannot even hold my head up and just the sound of someone's voice drives me crazy and makes me yell at them to be quiet. I have tried to doctor this pain myself by taking advil and motrin but it doesn't do anything to help with the pain in my eye at all, when I put ice on my eye it seems to help make me comfortable so that I can go to sleep, but when I get up in the morning that same pain seems to still be there, when I move my left eye back and forth it looks like there is a cloud a smoke that passes before my eye. I don't know what this is and I would have seen a doctor for this by now, but lack of insurance holds me back from getting this checked out to find out what it is... could this be something serious that I should worry about... any info would be greatly appreciated... or info on what I can do or find in a pharmancy to take to stop the pain.

Thank you in advance for your help
Sincerely angeleyes
A related discussion, eyes was started.