Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
star on right eye lid

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

star on right eye lid
How do I get rid of a star on the right eye lid and ease the itch/pain ?
a 'star'?  you probably mean a 'stye', right?  it depends on what kind of stye it is...there are different types.  some need surgical excision, some need oral or topical antibiotics.  but still others can be treated yourself, and this would be a good thing to try.  WARM COMPRESS AND LID SCRUBS:

http://www.agingeye.net/otheragingeye/blepharitis.php

itch is the classic ocular allergy symptom.  if the lid scrubs relieve the stye but not the itch, then try an over-the-counter ocular antihistamine like 'zaditor' or ' alaway'.  try to avoid long term use (over 10 days) of antihistamine/vasoconstrictor combos like visine-a r opcon-a.

if neither of those bring you relief, then you'll need an eye exam and Rx medications...possibly a mild surgical procedure
My brother has a large red growth that started at the inner corner of his left eye. It was originally like the little red area in the corner of his eye was a little swollen, now it seems to be growing nearly across his lower eyelid. Is that a stye? If not, what could it be?
A related discussion, eye problem was started.
A related discussion, eye was started.