Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
tired eyes

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

tired eyes

Hi There!!

I recently had my first eye exam (im 20). As after about 2 minutes of reading i feel like falling asleep and cannot keep my eyes open. Being at university this is extremely bothersome - i didnt tell the optician this. She did lots of tests including a laser one where i saw a red line way over to the left of a white dot.
Afterwards she said my eyes dont like turning in and that i should have something put on the lens of my glassess to help but that i was too young.
Why would i be too young?? What is this thing she would put on the lens? would it do any harm if i had it put on now?? I understand i should have said i was having difficulties in reading - Do you thnk she would have if i admitted i was?

Many Thanks

Regards

Tash
the "red line way over to the left of a white dot" was not a laser test.  that sounds like a "maddox rod" test, a farily common test for binocularity function/dysfunction.  having the white line and the red dot be NOT superimposed implies a convergence problem.  accoring to what you just typed, it sounds as if your optician has diagnosed you with "convergence insufficiency" aka "near point exophoria".

to make a long story very short, when a person reads they are supposed to "cross" their eyes somewhat to accurately aim at the paper/computer/book/etc.  a person who is not very good at this is deemed "convergence insufficient".  it is a KNOWN causer of exactly the symptoms you describe: difficulty reading and tired eyes/sleepiness soon after reading begins.

there are possible solutions (in no particular order):

1) prism in your glasses: this is what your optician was talking about.  glasses that do not have POWER in them like most glasses, but that have PRISM in them to "aim" your eyes correctly at the paper/compueter/etc.  this is not therapeutic.  in other words, it will not make your convergence insufficiency any "better".  you will still be "CI".  it just allows you to have less symtoms (symptoms) of tiredness/sleepiness/etc.  its like a "crutch".  the big problem with prescribing prism reading glasses is that for most people, once they start using them they can pretty much never stop.  you'd likely be wearing prism glasses every time you read pretty much from now on.  so you'd need "reading glasses" at a young age (although NOT reading glasses like most people wear, remember yours would be prismatic "reading glasses").

2) vision training: i am not a big fan of this, but there are docs out there who are.  these are "eye excercises" to sort of "train" you how to converge your eyes more.  in theory if you could just converge a little better, some/most/all of your symptoms would be aleviated.  its a great theory, but i have found (and there are many opinions on this, so take this with a grain of salt) that in practice it doesnt work very well.  1st of all it takes a long time to see results...weeks at the very least.  sometimes months or YEARS of "VT" before the patient has some appreciable difference.  some patients never have any relief.  its also tough to adhere to the regiman.  it would be 10-15 min/day every single day of eye excercises.  it is my experience that most people arent going to do that reliably for months.  lastly, its at least debatable that it even works at all.  studies are difficult to do and responses are 99% subjective.  so you really have to rely on what the patient feels.  if they "feel" better, then its "successful".  if they dont, then its not.  not a great way to quantify success.
1 Comment
Thanks for the information. Is it a common problem??

I forgot i was given exercises to do - like pencil eye push ups. I did them religiously for a few weeks but then didnt see any difference so i gave up - because she didnt say how long i should do them for.
I think ill see if i can get the prismatic lenses because my grades are suffering.

Thanks for your help

Regards
not too common.  but not dangerous, either.  just irritating/frustrating on your end (not a "blinding" condition).

yeah i'm not a big fan of eye excercises.  IF they were/are going to work, i'd be surprised if they had any effect in less than about 6 weeks.  1 week wasnt near long enough.  but again, for some people it never helps.  doesnt matter how long they do it.