Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
two questions about 6 month old

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

two questions about 6 month old

Hello AGAIN,
  I posted awhile back with lots of questions about scarring on the retina and macular in an infant, now 6 months.  He is being tested next month for a genetic disease called leber's congenital amourosis.  His symptoms are sluggish pupils and nystagmus.   So  my new questions are why the glasses, and is there any prevention.
1)  our optomologist put him in -7.5 and -8.5 lens, there seems to be little/no improvement in his sight while wearing them, we were told not to expect much if any difference.   so with this said WHY should he wear the glasses at all.
2)  if there is nothing that can be done to get rid of any retinal or macular scarring, then is there any reason to try and prevent any further scarring and if so what can be done in preventative measures.

Thank you for your time and knowledge!
why the glasses?  b/c he's apparently fairly nearsighted.  glasses not only make him see significantly better, but also reduce the probability and effect of refractive amblyopia.  if he really is -7.5 and -8.5, he should definitely be wearing glasses IMO, unless he's known to be totally blind, which you have not stated that he is.

'is there any reason to try and prevent any further scarring and if so what can be done in preventative measures'

there is no way to 'prevent' future scarring.

1 Comment
Thanks so much for your reply,   We don't know yet what he can or cannot see and will not know until they do the ERG.  I feel that he does have light preception, but he has no startle reflex at all with or without the glasses.   I  am looking up the other thing that you mentioned and keeping his glasses on until I'm told to do other wise.
Thanks again for your time.