Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
zig zag lines on side of eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

zig zag lines on side of eye

About 3 weeks ago i was using the computer and the peripheral vision of my right eye appeared as though I was looking through the heat in the desert.  Blurry and wavy.  It went away in about 15 minutes. I didn't get one for about 2 weeks, but for the past 3-4 days, I have been getting one a day with zig zag lines at the outside of my right Eye. When I close my both my eyes and can still see the zig zags in my eyes.  I thought it might be related to the computer since I had been on doing work for quite some time before the onset of the eye problem.  However, I got one driving the car and I hadn't been on the computer at all.  For the past 3 weeks, I have had about 5-6 of them.  ANy idea on what could be causing this?  It is pretty scary.

Eileen
Eileen,
I have the same thing. The first time I had it was nearly 20 years ago, then after about 4 years I had it again, and then a couple more times over the next decade.  In the past two years I've had it four times. When I asked my doctor about it a long time ago, he said that it had to do with the oxygen getting to the eye. I've also been told that it is like the precursor to a migraine. The first few times I had a headache with it - the last few times I have not.  I agree it's scary. I have found that staring at glaring things brings it on. For example, my last bout was yesterday. I was reading a slick magazine and the flourescent light was bouncing off of it. So I try not to focus too long on any one spot.  I could almost set my watch to it - mine last 20 minutes each time.  
If you find out anything, will you post? And I'll do the same.
Niki
OK- today, I had my second espisode of the symptoms you're all describing.  Starting with depth perception being a little off, then the flashing squiggly lines on the sides of both eyes, then blurred vision (almost a donut shape- the center being only spot clear), followed by a terrible head ache.  I called my mom who works with an opthamalogist (hey, I'm 21!- I can always call Mom!) went in for an exam- passed with flying colors.  20/20 vision, no other issues to note.  I'm still wondering, what the heck is going on... do I have to live with this forever?  Is it caused from "stress", straining at a computer all day at work?  If so, do I need to wear glasses at the computer-- even though I have 20/20?!  I'm at a loss of explanations- I can't continue to have these excruciating head aches that have no remedy (I've taken motrin and ibuprofen)

Any help/suggestions?

Jess
You are having peripheral effects from migraine headaches.  I have these symptoms occasionally too and they run in my family.  My flashy spot ends with the total loss of peripheral vision for about 30 minutes, and when my vision comes back the headache begins.  It is usually triggered when I am under stress at work and have too much caffeine (I mean way too much).  A doc told me not to worry about it, especially since similar symptoms are experienced by two of my aunts. I hope this helps.
thank you very much- now that i think about it... it's only happened when i've had a couple cups of coffee (and i'm used to only one cup).

Hmmm..... thank you!

Jess
I have had this problem off and on for years and was told by an ophthalmologist it was optical migraine mine goes away in about 20minutes sometimes less
A related discussion, zigzag lines and blurry vision was started.
A related discussion, Curved/Wavy Vision In Left Eye? was started.