-2.00 cylindrical eysight at 175 axis What it means ?
Just now i check up my eyes ..
Dr told me that i have -2.00 Cylindrical eye power at 175 AXIS for My left eye ..?
I am 25 years old . This is the first time i checkup my eyes . I am working as Software engineer.

My Question is What's the problem i had what that cylindrical eye sight means ? i am very new to this terminolgy could you explain me in  brief ?
Hopefully the eye "doctor" you saw was a MD ophthalmologist Eye MD. If not next time see a real physician.

-2.00 cylinder axis 175 indicates that the cornea (the part a contact lens fits on) is not round or spherical but aspheric or "astigmatic" in your case the cornea is curved more from top to bottom than side to side. Its not a disease.

Google "astigmatism" and it will show you a diagram of what it looks like.  That's not a lot. It causes some blurring of the vision. Adjusting to a glasses prescription with an astigmatic correction is sometimes difficult and if you can't wear the glasses comfortablly after 5-6 days go back to the "doctor" and have them check the glasses and re-evaluate the fit. (Our practice does not charge for  this type of service maybe yours won't either.  ASK)

JCH MD

JCH MD
I am not an eye care professional, so what I am about to say is based on what I remember from an optics course I had in college.

A spherical lens is one in which one surface of the lens is in the shape of the surface of a sphere. Imagine a slice taken off a sphere. The lens is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, and uniform all around.

A negative spherical lens can be formed by making a spherical impression in the surface of a flat piece of glass. It is thinner in the middle than at the edges. This is the kind of lens a nearsighted person needs.

A cylindrical lens has one surface in the shape of a cylinder. This kind of lens magnifies the image but only in one direction. You can make a cylindrical lens by filling a clear cylindrical glass with water. A glass of water will magnify images horizontally but not vertically. A negative cylindrical lens could be made by forming a hollow cylindrical impression in a flat piece of glass. That's the kind of lens you need to correct your astigmatism.

The axis refers to the angle the cylinder is tilted with respect to vertical, from 0 to 180 degrees. So your lens axis would have to be tilted 5 degrees. I don't know if it would be clockwise or counterclockwise. The number -2 is the measurement in diopters. Do a google search on diopter to see what that means.
-
my dr told me my right eye is -1 cyl and 10 degree axis and left eye is  -0.75 cyl and 180 degree axis. whats its mean.....???????
This means the eye is shaped like an American football lying on its side; the cornea is more curved vertically than horizontally.  Not a disease. Corrected with minus cylinder glasses axis horizontal or plus cylinder glasses vertial
JCH MD
wearing eye glasses for above case is mandatory.? if not any chances may increase the eye sight..
Given age 25  is optional but usually makes see better.
Hi John,

My daughter is 4 and half year old. She often rubbing her eyes and used to tell us seeming water is coming from eye but no water at all so took her hospital. Dr. prescribed as follows
Right Eye: SPH : NIL CYL: 2.50 AXIS: 10
Left Eye  : SPH: +0.75 CYL 2.50 AXIS: 175
He told us Cylindrical power only.

How can cure this problem, since she is very less age what can we do further. Is it curable with any food habits or exercise. Please help and suggest us.
Thanks in advance
Jaisankar.
The shape of the cornea is aspherical (astigmatic). Diet and expercises will not change the shape. Glasses are the preferred treatment till older when contacts may be helpful.

Consider a second opinion with an Eye MD ophthalmologist.
]JCH MD
Thanks a lot Dr. for your great and valuable comment. Since she is 4 1/2 year old, she not able tell anything properly what happening. As per above prescriptions Is it big problem? If post-pone till her 6-7 year old, Is it increase / change the power?

Thanks,
Jaisankar, INDIA
It is possible to use instruments to determine if an infant or child needs glasses. it can be done without any response by the child. You should not postpone working through this problem as the eyes reach visual maturity at about 6-10 years of age and after that time reduced vision (refractive amblyopia) may not respond to glasses and patching.

JCH MD  Kansas City Missouri USA
Thanks a lot Dr. for your valuable time and reply. I'll consult here and do further  process.

JaiSankar, Bangalore, INDIA.
Yes best of luck
JCHMD
distance;right  shp -0.25. cy -50. axis 175,va 46,
distance ; left sph_ , cyl -0.50, axis 175, va 40.
How can cure this problem
That is a very weak prescription. Some people do fine without this type of RX, some wear just for specific tasks like driving at night or movies. Others chose to wear all the time.

There is no disease to 'cure'.  

JCH MD
Dr. My yes test are: Right one is Sph +2 and Cyl -3 and Axic 10, the left one is Sph +0.75 and Cyl -2 and Axic is 165, is it dangers I`m really worried about and my doctor told me there is no need to do lasek but I cant see well without glasses. also dose the computer affects it because I`m working on computer a lot. thanks
Your profile says you are age 25. Most people with that much astigmatism do need glasses or contact lens. Astigmatism is not a disease it means your cornea is not spherical like a marble but oval like an American football.  Astigmatism is more difficult to treat with lasik than a spherical cornea.  So if you are happy with glasses or contact lens (toric contact lens) you need not have expensive lasik. If you wish to consider lasik as an alternative to glasses/contacts you would have to see a very experienced refractive surgeon with access to the newest and most sophisticated lasers.
thanks a lot sir .
you are welcome
Hi Doctor,

I have -0.5  cylindrical sight for left eye along with -1.5 sight and -1.5 sight for tight eye when i checked with doctor , when i checked my eyes in showroom he told me -1.5 spherical is enough for me, he given me spects with that power. Will there be any problem if i don't use cylindricl power.

Regards
Lalitha
No way to tell. You could have adjusting if added or you might not see as well if not added.  

JCH MD
Hi doctor,

What happen if i use contact lenses that is 180 axis while i have 10 axis on my eye?
Thank you
Hi Doctor,
just i have a question if I wear the lens continusly will my eyes be restored to normal i.e 0 pwer?

I have right eyes lens -0.5 cylindrical with 180 axis and  left eyes has -0.25 cylindrical with 180 axis. My doctor said we will again check it after 6 months?

Dear doctor,
My daughter is 5.5 years old and is detected with astigmatim in both eyes and also has myopia , amblyopia in left eye.
The prescribed glasses that she started to wear is as below:

Right eye : sph: +0.00, Cyl: -00.75, Axis:170, V/A:6/7.5
Left eye: sph:-02.25, Cyl:-01.5, Axis:160, V/A:6/12

I am panicky, depressed, and do not know if she could ever get a normal vision minus the amblyopia, myopia an astigmatism...
Request your expert opinion on this..
Thanks much

sairam

from past two year i am using glasses . my left eye is -2.0 Axis 170
and right 1.0

in my lest eye when i look at far and i see the written words r double thats like a light shadow. what kind of problem is it??
HarithaM:

1. Astigmatism is not a disease but amblyopia is. If you are just starting treatment your daughter is relatively old and amblyopia therapy is more difficult and less successful.
2. Therapy will usually start with glasses worn all the time; vision is rechecked if still down in left eye then a patch is often worn in the right eye to make her use the left eye more. Sometimes eye drops called atropine are used in the good eye to avoid the patch but make her use the LE more.
3. The goal of treatment is to improve the vision in the amblyopia eye to as good of a level as possible. The glasses will not make the myopia or astigmatism go away. When she's older contact lens or refractive surgery might help.
4. This problem runs in families so have all your children checked early (about age 3). Any children not have their eyes checked in last year should be examined. You should tell your brothers and sisters of this problem as nieces and nephews will be at higher risk also.

JCH MD
Shohan: That is not a question I can answer because there are too many possible causes. You will need to direct that question to the ophthalmologist or optometrist that checked your eyes

JCH MD
sir i'm Shiva, my
right eye : SPH=+0.5, CYL=-1.5, AXIS=95 and left eye is :
SPH=NIL, CYL=-1.75, AXIS=5 what does this mean kindly help me. Thanks in advance.
Its a glasses prescription correcting for mainly astigmatism which is aspherical cornea. It says nothing about the health of your eye nor the vision with or without glasses.

JCH MD
Sir,

I just had two eye check-ups in 3 months interval..In first check-up my Right Eye Axis is 15 degree but in second prescription it is 160 degree.. Rest everything is same... Please tell whether 15degress is same as 165 (180-15) or not?? or one of the prescription is wrong..
I cannot tell which one is "right"  the most recent should be the correct one. Depending on the amount of cylinder (astigmatism) if the number is small it might not make any difference. What is your complete glasses RX for both eyes and if you know it vision with that RX
My prescription (Recent One):
Right Eye: (SPH: -6.25 / Cyl: -0.50 /Axis: 160)
Left Eye: (SPH: -6.00 / Cyl: -0.50 /Axis: 170)

Thanks a lot for the reply.
That is a very weak cylinder lens (astigmatism part) the power is the same. The only difference is the direction. They are 35 degree apart. It's impossible to tell which is "correct"  The ability of humans to determine the "axis" (direction) of small cylinder powers varies. Many people would not be able to tell any difference between the two axis directions.  If you were tested the same day by 3 different technicians you might have small variations in the power of the sphere, the amount of the cylinder and the axis direction. It's a subjective test that depends on the skill of the technician and the powers of observation and attentiveness of the person being tested. You would either have to compare the vision of two pair of glasses with the different RX or a technician would have to show you axis 160 and axis 15 and ask you which is cleaarer

JCH
Thank you Very Much for your valuable suggestions. You are very kind to provide such Expert suggestions to people you don't personally at this online platform. Huge Respect for u.
Happy to be of help.
hello Sir  I just had my 5 year eyes checked
      sph   cyl   axis
OD   +.25  -2.00  014
OS  -0.25   -1.25   164

He now has glasses and we are called back in 3 months . the doc said she wants to see  improvement or we may try patch to avoid lazy eye .. what is your opinion plz .I'm very worried
many thanks
Mani
From this information it is not possible to tell anything about the health of the eye or the vision with glasses or without glasses. You would need to get that information from the ophthalmologist that examined the child. The glasses would be worn all waking hours then as the eye doctor says if one eye is not seeing as well as the other (amblyopia) then patching of the stronger eye is indicated. Be sure to check other children in your family as this often runs in families.
Hallo sir, my perscription is OD: sph -0,5 cyl -1,75 axis: 180 // OS: sph -0,5 cyl -0,75 axis: 170.
Is it normal to have axis power at 170 and 180? Because mostly people have axis at 180/0 , 170/10 and so on. thank you
You are wrong. The axis of a cylinder lens varies between 1 degree and 180 degrees.  It cannot be greater than 180    So there is no "average" cylinder.  For a number of reasons I will not get into the two most common axis are 180 and 90
Hello Sir,
My 4 year old daughter is prescribed with
RE: CYL -0.75 , 165 axis, vision 6/9
LE: CYL -0.5 , 15 axis, vision 6/9
She s given glasses and asked to encourage reading the distant lettters and images for 6 months and thn check up.
My doubts are: why cylindrical has come for her? also what is that axis number.
Your suggestions to improve her vision please.
That is not a complete glasses prescription (RX)  it is missing "Sphere" also it does not give information about the health of the eye, the vision without glasses and whether there are any eye muscle problems.

"cylinder" means she has astigmatism. That means the cornea is not spherical so not round and oval like an American football.  It is very common. You will need to discuss your questions with the eye doctor that is taking care of her.  There is no medicine or surgery that would help so the treatment is wearing the glasses.
Thankyou doctor. Spherical is Nil in both eyes.
How to improve vision 6/9 to 6/6?
If she wears glasses all time, will it improve?
For a 4 year old that is not much astigmatism and it is the same in both eyes which makes it much less likely for one eye to have reduced vision (amblyopia). Many children might do well without glasses. The glasses will not make the astigmatism go away nor can we tell from what you've provided what the vision is with and without glasses. If you like the eye doctor you can have her wear the glasses and keep the 6 month appointment. If you are not comfortable you can get a second opinion about the need for glasses from a eye MD ophthalmologist that does pediatrics or a pediatric Eye MD.
I am 27 year old and I recently had my vision tested, below were the result :

OD : SPH Plano, CYL -0.50, Axis 172
OS : SPH Plano,  CYL-1.10, Axis 160

I started wearing glasses but really dont fin much of the difference. Should I be continuing with glasses?

Thanks,
Prakash
Some people find this type of RX helpful. They feel they see better and their eyes are less tired. Some people don't find the glasses helpful at all and don't wear them.  So if they help you some or all the time wear them some or all the time. If they don't help or seem to make things worse you will not hurt your eyes by not wearing them.
Hi sir,

I am prasanth. I recently got eyesight with astigmatism.
The measures are :
Right: 0 spherical  -1.0 cylndiral 180 degrees
left : 0 spherical  -0.5 cylndiral 170 degrees

I am having rays reflected in my eyes especially in nights like starbursts.
This problem recently started to my eyes. I consulted doctor and he told I have dryness in my eyes. But I didnt feel any irritation in my eyes.
I have rays reflected towards only left side while I am seeing with my left eye and only right side while im seeing with the right eye.
what to do to avoid that problem. Is my condition serious?
should I have to change my eye glasses?
Plz help me.

Thanks,
Prasanth.

You may need to Google Images two things: 1. The structure of the eye  2. A picture of an American football.  That means you have astigmatism. It is not a disease. It means your cornea (look at diagram) is not perfectly round like a ball bearing or marble its oval and has different radius of curvature like an American football. The important thing is what is your vision with and without the glasses and are your eyes healthy. You will need to ask that of the doctor that checked your eyes.
Hi doc my son diagnosed high astigmatism -4.5 and-5 he is 4 and half year old is there any solution we can restore his astigmaditm with glasses , if he wears glasses full time it will still get worst or better
The glasses do not correct the astigmatism (aspherical cornea) nor make it go away or prevent it from getting worse. So it will always be there.  When he's older a corneal laser operation might round out his cornea and reduce or eliminate the astigmatism. Glasses are needed full time now or his vision will not develop properly. Be sure other children are checked if you have others as this often runs in families.
Today i had my eye check up and the results were:
Right Eye: CYL:-0.25 * 180
left eye :plano
no sph,add,pd for any of the eyes

can that cyl be cured by following eye ex and healthy food
NO
But it will help your general health and keep you from getting fat
I have right -2.25 an left -2.50 cylinder -0.50 axis 145 am worry cuz I dont know what that mean
-2.25 cylinder axis 145 indicates that the cornea (the part a contact lens fits on) is not round or spherical but aspheric or "astigmatic" in your case the cornea is curved more from top to bottom than side to side. Its not a disease.

Google "astigmatism" and it will show you a diagram of what it looks like.  That's not a lot. I