Eye Care Expert Forum
Strabismus Surgery: Dr. says she can only straighten right eye by 50 p...
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Strabismus Surgery: Dr. says she can only straighten right eye by 50 percent to prevent long term issues?

Hi, I'm considering getting my right eye aligned. I'm 26 years old and I've had a lazy eye for many years now. When i was 6 years old, I had cross eyes and had a surgery to fix that. Over the years then after, I developed a lazy eye. I see perfectly fine, however, the right eye is consistently outward.

I went to see a doctor recently to straigten it, however, after doing a few tests, she says that my right eye cannot be straightened perfectly. It can only be straighten about 50% better to prevent me from having permanent double vision. I been researching online and none of my findings seem to indiciate that this is the case. The tests she ran were the different lenses over my left eye, and asked if i was seeing double or single items on the board.

Any ideas?
Related Discussions
284078_tn?1282620298
I wonder if the surgeon meant was that there was a 50% chance of needing another surgery after this upcoming surgery.  Overall it sounds like the surgeon is trying to reduce your expectations so you are not overly disappointed if the first surgery does not do all you wanted it to.   Maybe she is really, really good and knows exactly what is going on.  I don't know.  Consider seeking a second opinion from a board certified ophthalmologist specializing in strabismus if you feel uncomfortable about the situation.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
2078052_tn?1331936700
Doreen Fazio, M.D.Blank
Amerisight Institute and Valley Eye Center
Van Nuys, CA
1731421_tn?1358826971