Eye Care Community
cystic retinal tufts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

cystic retinal tufts

What is a  cystic retinal tufts? Can that lead to cancer/ melanoma?
It is a congenital abnormality of the peripheral retina.  It will not lead to cancer.  There is a small change that it could lead to a retinal tear and subsequent retinal detachment.

Dr. O.
I had two tufts in my left eye and did suffer 2 tears preciously where those tufts were located during a PVD.  I have two tufts in the same location in my opposite eye and I was just diagnosed with a Weiss Ring and PVD in that eye (my right eye).  What are the chances the tufts in my right eye will lead to a tear as the vitreous pulls away given when it pulled away in the opposite eye, it resulted in tears where both tufts were.  My doctor says we can wait and watch OR do elective laser surgery around the tufts in the right eye to prevent them from tearing.  Thanks so much!