help me i need to know about chronic dry eye
I had eye surgery about a year ago.  my eyes started getting blurry and watering just like I am crying.  he sa\id it was not my vision.  I have chronic dry eye.  is there any hope for this problem.  he gave me he gaveme a bunch of eye drop samples.  I am supposed to put eyedrops in my eyes every hour or less.  this seems a little extreme looks like there could be something better to help.  please help me I am old and like to play games on my computer and watch tv and work crossword puzzle books.  I am losing everything I enjoy doing.  help  me.  mandy876
I too had eye surgery, a Vitrectomy/membrane peel as well as cataract surgery.
I try to do everything "naturally" first, as I read that that more you use eye drops, the more you HAVE to use them.
So here is what I do and have read on forums that others also do.

Flaxoil in the liquid form, a tablespoon in the morning and at night.  Flaxoil, (the brand I use is a quality Brand named Barleans...you can find it in the refrigerated section at Fred Meyer, Super Supplements, etc.)  Get quality Flaxoil that needs to be refrigerated and that is "cold pressed" so you get all the benefits.  Flaxoil is great for your eyes, hair, skin, etc.  and you should notice the difference with your dry eye.

Also, where ever you spend most of your day, whether at home or in an office...use a humidifier in the room you spend the most time in.  Especially in the winter when the heat is on in the house/offices the air is really dry and can affect your eyes.

Good luck !
Consider punctal plugs.

Dr. O.
There is also an excellent website devoted to this problem, where people who have dry eye discuss what works for them and what doesn't:

http://www.dryeyezone.com/encyclopedia/treatment.html
thank you very much do you swallow it or put it in your eyes. I have never had problems with my eyes until I had cataract surgery. I wonder sometimes if the doctors know what they are doing.
what is punctual plugs.  I have never heard of them.
The flaxoil I take is in liquid form, and you just swallow it.  NOT in your eyes, but that was a good question.
I would suggest trying the least invasive methods first, like flaxoil and humidifier...before you consider plugs.  However, spend some time researching other options so that you are educated when it comes time to make a decision.  Remember, every medical procedure has potential "side effects or a down side" .  Forums are good to hear patient experiences.
Good luck.
I never noticed I had the problem until after the surgery.  he said I would not have to wear glasses anymore but I do.  could he have made a mistake on my surgery? If so could it be corrected.  I worry about things.  thank you.  mandy876