13 year old glaucoma suspect
My 13 year old daughter was seen by a opthomologists that specializes in glaucoma after her eye doctor was concerned by cupping and IOP of 20(which is high normal)  also she failed her field test and there is family history.  She was seen 2 years ago and there was no cupping and her IOP was 19.  The specialists wants her IOP checked every 6 mos. What I forgot to ask her Dr. was how likely it is that she will eventually be diagnosed with glaucoma.  Also her older sister (15 years)  had her eyes checked a few days after  and they found her IOP to be 21/19 and she also had cupping which was not there 2 years before.  I am suppose to take her to see the specialists on Oct 1st.  I don't know what to think of this.....is it possible that it could be genetic and is it normal to see this in siblings?
You need to direct the question to the glaucoma specialist but the risks are very low.  A large cup disk ratio is often genetic and likely will not increase the risk of glaucoma just make it more difficult to diagnose. The risk of glaucoma in a normal lifetime without a family history of glaucoma is 2%

JC MD