Eye Care Expert Forum
2 different eye rx for my 5 year old daughter

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I went to see our opthometrist for my daughter and after 6 months and told us her eye rx went up quite a bit, she is only 5 years old.
         Sph.      Cyl.      axis.        PD
OD.  -2.75.    -0.50.    083.         54
OS.  -3.00.    -0.50.    100

This first one is the RX from the optometrist.

Now the one from the Opthamologist:

Sph.         Cup.        Axis
OD. -2.50.        +0.50.      180
OS. -3.00.        +0.50.      180

The Opthamologist dilated my daughters eyes, the opthometrist didn't, now I am pretty confuse, I don't know what Rx is better for her. I have high myopia also my mother, I just don't want to affect my child vision if I pick the wrong Rx.
please advise me which one to pick.
Thank you so much for your help.
Liza.
Kids that age most frequently get overminused by optometrists.  The appropriate thing to do would be to dilate the eyes and perform a retinoscopy (which is hopefully what your ophthalmologist did) or at least put in the minimum power required to see clearly through a cycloplegic refraction.  The best bet is to take the child to a pediatric ophthalmologist as they deal with this all the time.  If I had to pick, I would bet the ophthalmologist's refraction is more accurate.

HV