Eye Care Community
2 weeks after cryogenic fix and gas bubble for retinal detachment

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I am a 40 year old woman with a history of severe myopia. 2 weeks ago I was in an rigorous exercise class and afterwards had a bunch of black floaters and cloudiness in my vision which later turned to lack of vision in the right peripheral region - I didn't have loss of sight in the macula. I didn't know what it was but went to an optometrist (MD) who couldn't see anything but said that it sounded like a retinal detachment. I then saw a retinal specialist who cryogenically fixed the tear and injected a gas bubble. After 4 days of rest in a specific position (so the gas bubble would float to the proper place to put the retina back against the eye wall), I went in, and the doctor said the bubble was getting stuck in the incorrect spot and he did a second surgery to take out the gas bubble and put a new one in. After another 4 days of rest in teh specific position, the doctor said it looked to be healing properly and I was off bedrest. That was about 1 week ago. I still have floaters and shadows but regained my vision where I had lost it before. What is the best case scenario I can hope to have with my vision over another week, month, 6 months, year? Are there any vitamins/supplements that I can take to help the healing process? What can I do to prevent this from occuring again either in this eye or my other?
1. A optometrist is not an MD. If you saw a MD initially you saw a ophthalmoloigst.
2. Use the archives and search feature to read the many illustrative posts on floaters, posterior vitreous detachments, retintal tears, etc.
3. It is very difficult to generalize. If your retina was not detached and the macular was not damaged by either the disease or the surgery you might expect full recovery but you will not know until the gas is all gone and some time passes to allow things to settle down.
4. You best source of information is your retina Eye MD ophthalmologist.
5. Fair warning: When this happens in one eye there is a very high risk it will occur in the other eye. Have your eyes from now on checked at least yearly by an ophthalmologist with dilation of the pupil and careful check of the retina.
Good luck
JCH MD