20/30 and farsightedness
Hello.  My 5 year old son was diagnosed today by a pediatric Ophthalmologist as seeing 20/30 in his R eye and farsightedness.  His L eye was 20/20.   He said he needed glasses.  We did get them today; however, now that I am home and researching I have questions.  From what I read, it looks like it is still considered normal for a 5 year old to be 20/30 and farsightedness if also "normal" in a child this age.  I'm just confused because it sounded like (when the Dr. was talking to me) that these things were not normal and definitely needed to be treated.  I am just hoping someone can help me shed some light on this.  Thanks!
If your child is 20/20 in one eye and 20/30 in the other, the 20/30 eye needs to be treated in order to help that eye develop normal vision.  The treatment might include glasses and patching of the better eye.  Follow the advice of the pediatric ophthalmologist.
Thank you very much Dr. Fazio for your quick response!  I am wondering if this is something that could potentially resolve over time?
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.