Eye Care Community
20/50 vision post restor lens implant, 3 diff diagnosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Mid December 2012 had restor lens implant in one eye. I was very near sighted; post surg vision never improved beyond 20/40+ and 20/60 close. Have two second opinions which disclosed original doctor misdiagnosed and was prepared to perform unnecessary procedures to improve my vision.

Second opinion #1 diagnosed Posterior Capsule Opacification admittedly unusual in only weeks post surg.

Second opinion #2 diagnosed folds in the capsular sack which may disappear after the sack shrinks in time.

I cannot find information regarding this desired shrinkage around the new lens. Any help would be appreciated.

I have been prescribed various drops to treat dry eye; tested at "5". Senior male in very good physical condition; use Flomax which ceased 10 days prior to surgery.
I can't tell which one is correct, whether either are correct and even consultant #2 can't tell you if the folds will go away with time.  Many patients at the time of surgery are found to have a cloudy posterior capsule and need a yag capsulotomy relatively soon.

You are lucky if your only problem is the posterior capsule as your 2nd and 3rd opinion suggest as a yag capsulotomy will help that problem. Better that then retina problem, dislocated IOL, etc.

Since you are relatively short time post surgery you might discuss with your consultants watching the capsule for 6-8 weeks to see if it clears. If not you can ask them about risk/benefits of yag capsulotomy.

JCH  MD
Thank you JCH  MD for your insights. Latest development in the eighth week post implant period my vision has become correctable to 20/30 distance and something less near with glasses. Prior to this there was no improvement with the addition of corrective lenses. I am told that the lens implanted has the wrong refraction which can be corrected by laser. My query to how this occurred is answered as "It happens"

Is it reasonable to require additional surgery to correct the refraction on an implanted lens?

Regarding only the posterior opacification:  My surgeon, who--after due thought and diligence--gave me reStors (with which I could not be more pleased), told me after eye #2 that during surgery he had tried to scrape off the cells that had adhered to the posterior capsule, but he could not do the job to his satisfaction.  

Sure enough, only a couple of months later, I had some noticeable opacity, and needed the Yag capsulotomy on that eye.  It took a few seconds, and the result was instantly clear vision.

It has been over three years, and I remain delighted to have essentially perfect eyesight.