Eye Care Community
24/7 CONSTANT Jumpy/Shaky Vision

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

24/7 CONSTANT Jumpy/Shaky Vision

Hi! I have posted a lengthy thread in the Neurology section, but I wanted to leave one here as well.

I have 24/7 jumpy, shaky,  jerking vision that I have been dealing with for months now. I have been dealing with a whole problem for almost 7 months now. I am currently diagnosed with Migraine Associated Dizziness, but I am not convinced that the diagnosis is certain. I had an allergic reaction in June to cephalosporin antibiotic for a supposed ear infection that i was feeling woozy and spacey--somewhat dizzy--not vertigo though. I had to go to the ER for the reaction and was treated there. since then, it has spiraled out of control. i had very bad dizziness after that...which then my vision was strange, but not the jerking. it was more like i were to look at a picture on the wall, it would move towards me or the wall would move away from the picture. now, it is constant jumpy, jerky, shaky--like back and forth--or almost sometimes liek looking at a mirage or gas fumes. it is very prominent in my peripheral vision or when i am looking at objects far away or up.  I also have a black floater constantly in my right eye since all this happened. my left upper lid twitches every day for long periods of time off and on.  It seems as if i look at an object and look away i can still see the outline or imprint of the object in my vision.

I have been to an optometrist, but I would like to see a neuro-opthamologist in texas. I have had MRI, EEG, CT scan of brain and normal results. They prescribed me Nortriptyline to act as a migraine preventative and it has done nothing at this point, but i have only been taking it for 4 1/2 weeks.  

I am not convinced that this is induced by migraine. Why would i have the 24/7 and constantly??? Please help with any ideas or suggestions! I am losing my mind. I am going to college throughout all this, and it is making my life a living hell.

other symptoms through this:
chest pains
headache
bright red, swollen toes when staning only short time
I had low B-12, but it is back to around 680 now
tinnitus for brief like 10 seconds
tingling in hands--which has gone away
imbalance
nausea--at the beginning--none now
constipation--not constantly--think it is from meds
fatigue
etc
I agree you need to see a neuro-ophthalmologist. you can ask our neurologist to refer you or you can find one near you at www.aao.org

JCH III MD
thank you for the reply. does any of this sound familiar to you with any certain condition? it is driving me crazy and i am so worried that it's something else.
thanks again
No it doesn't sound like a classic case of anything, that's usually when we general ophthalmologists get neuro-ophthalmologist consultations.

JCH III MD
I have your exact same symptoms and i was diagnosed with migraine problem to. I see this was posted over a year a go let me know if you found out anything new
-
well, i haven't found ANYTHING else out actually.  i saw a neuro-opthamologist and he thinks i may have had a mild concussion from a really awful six flags ride a few weeks prior to this starting.  i just don't know.  he said maybe 2-5 years for it to go away because there's nothing to treat that with.  but i've spoken with a few other people on another health board that have the same vision issues as i do, without getting tossed around on a wooden roller coaster.  so i just don't know. i've had many more tests since i posted this and have been on nortriptylin up to 40mg and am now getting off of it because it was unsuccessful.  they want me to try neurontin instead.  also, i have been diagnosed with erythromelalgia---my feet are extremely red and hot/painful when standing...worsens outside when it's hot or out of a shower.  really quite annoying.  with no real idea of the cause and no "cure" for it. so yeah, that's where i'm at now.  i also just had an EKG and had some sinus arrhytmia so will be having to do a heart monitor. blah!

are they placing you on any medications for preventative migraine?  do you even have headaches?  i think it's a lousy diagnosis for something that cannot be figured out.
-
hi. I also have jumpy vision and different Dr.'s cannot find the problem.
I have it in my left eye and no it's not an eyelid thing. In my case, I believe it is caused by using short ranged vision too much which strains the eye focusing muscles. I work on my computer, often 12-15 hours a day There is a condition called computer vision syndrome (google it). This may be what you have if you're constantly on the computer or other video/tv screen like I am. If you're not on the computer but are constantly using short ranged focus that could also strain your eyes since short ranged focus is very stressful on your eyes even if you're not reading.

I recommend:

Reducing your short focus ranged time, reducing your computer/tv (digital) exposure time.

Google for eye exercises and then do them regularly.

Practice using long distance focus and closing your eyes to rest them.

If you work on the computer or TV take a lot of breaks closing your eyes to allow them to rest.

Change your diet (avoid sugar) to an eye health promoting diet.

Take lutein supplements and or other eye vitamins supplements, I think AREDS vitamins are specific for eye health.

Remember it can take a long time for your body to heal so be patient and stick to your healthy plan.

I think in time you'll see improvements and eventually hopefully you'll get rid of this problem.

Good luck.